DSLR Noob

RobV

How'd you get one of those bikes, anyway? Everything I read say Europe only, no announcement for the States, yet.

motogypsy

CBX? You had me going there for a while! I thought Honda might have reused the moniker, but a quick search showed the Honda X-ADV 750.

The CBX off road would be an adventure, indeed! :D

But I agree, once you go dirt, there is no going back.

oEG24EW.jpg

This is that same road, not much later. And I have this thing about turning around...
(there was no sign at the beginning of the road!)

QIPUOzg.jpg

I'm not sure what the Honda X-ADV 750 I've never seen it, I may should have said the Honda CB500X, it should bring mine up, haha, dirt has been a lot more fun, backroads are but its nice to ride some of the fire roads or some of the gravel/dirt that runs along side creeks, it's peaceful and theres something about the way the sun shines through each tree that is wonderful! I need a better luggage setup like yours!

Sadly I haven't been to the bike camp, I've wanted to, but haven't made it yet. The motorcycle forum I am a part of has big camping events sometimes and I always somehow miss them. lol

I started on an SV650 of an exes, fell in love immediately and ended up buying myself a Ninja 250, rode it to Maine, ended up selling it to move to ME, came back to NC after a while and bought a Suzuki GS500F, and the Honda CB500X shortly after, I just recently sold the Suzuki. Waiting to get my own SV, then eventually moving into maybe a couple track days. But I enjoy the offroad more than street anymore. WNC has A LOT to offer as far as good riding, mountains, etc. I love it here, took me a while to discover but I finally did. I've stopped in a lot of driveways and never been met (so far) with a gun, just smiling faces and questions.

The CBX? It's been in the states for a long time, I think there might have been a little mixup haha

I also see your location is Indianapolis, IN, I visited there and a couple of the smaller towns last year! I went to my first drive-in theater in Martinsville, the Centerbrook one!

Last edited:

RobV

Well, you certainly have had a variety of bikes in a short period!

Yeah, an SV is a good goal.

Your CB500X has been here a while. When you said "adventure", I mistook that for part of the name when I did my Google search (I am an unrecoverable Googleholic); instead it being your personal adventure!

Now, OTOH, every time you use the shortcut "CBX", any seasoned motorcyclist will think you are referring to the 1978-1982 1047cc six-cylinder motorbike.

Like DSLRs, you will pick up on this stuff over time.

And yes - motorcycle camping is totally different than car camping! More like backpacking, except you have a beast and all the paraphernalia that comes with it.
Speaking of which - are you wearing earplugs for street/highway riding? Wind noise is a killer on your long-term hearing.

motogypsy

Google is a useful tool, so I don't blame ya! Sorry about that mixup though!

I know about the cbx, the older ones you are speaking of, it just slips my mind to add the "500" in there. When I was first researching the bike (a friend recommended it) I found the older and was confused on how it was considered an off-road with kits. Haha

I've always wanted to go motorcycle camping. Just every time I had the opportunity, it didn't work out or the people knew changed plans or "things came up" for myself or them
It's gonna happen one of these days soon!! I actually have pretty bad hearing in general already but I do wear earplugs. The wind noise bugged me when I used to have to do a lot of long highway commutes.

Any suggestions for a safe way to carry the camera on the bike (as safely as possible)?

RobV

On carrying camera gear safely on a motorcycle, I would suggest starting a separate thread, so that others will see it.
Both here, and on any motorcycle forums (Advrider, you mentioned in your PM) you frequent.
Luggage is only as secure as it's mounts... I have seen a Givi topbox disappear off the back of a bike, due to metal fatigue. But from the list of the stuff the guy had it in, I would say he had overloaded it.

The only time I attempted to tour on my CBR250R, I put my (at the time) D5200 & kit lens in my tank bag, surrounded by foam. A monopod/hiking pole was my only other gear.

I would be nervous about hauling a 200-500 f5.3 in a saddlebag. Of course, there is always insurance.
If you DO decide to use your (hard) saddlebags to carry your gear, I would add some kind of additional clamp between the bag and the mount, to make sure they don't come off accidentally.
Those saddlebags of mine that you were impressed by, well, that was an old picture. They were long since replaced by nicer ones that wouldn't fall off the bike. It was very common to see straps holding them on.

straps_zpse561021f.jpg

motogypsy

Alright, I will start a separate thread to get some more ideas! It just makes me nervous to carry something expensive on rides. In the case of heat/unpredictable weather/accidents etc. Thanks for all the advice though!!

One last question, to you or anyone on this thread, what's your thoughts on watermarks? I'm no professional by any means, but when I have taken some shots before, they ended up being shared on social media a few times over and I don't want to lose credit because I would like to build up my photography to become something more than a simple hobby someday. Is it ridiculous to have one early on? Even if only something simple to retain credit?

mikew_RIP

If you want one puit one on,the main problem is in my mind if you place them where they will not spoil the image they can be cropped off,have you set your copyright details in the camera so its in the Exif.

motogypsy

If you want one puit one on,the main problem is in my mind if you place them where they will not spoil the image they can be cropped off,have you set your copyright details in the camera so its in the Exif.
I'm not going to lie, I have no idea how to do that but I will be figuring it out today!

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
Welcome to the forum Karlie. It looks like you are already getting some interesting info and exchanges. Ha!