Don't want the "Newbie" tag

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick.osgood

You are identified as a newbie by using the Nikon yellow strap AROUND YOUR NECK rather than a black shoulder strap and having a lens cap on the lens.

Ha... I will take that one :) I really don't like straps either. They are usually in the way. Who makes a decent wrist strap or should I just skip it and hope the clutz monkee does not get me?

Roy1961

Contributor
or pointing your flash head up when there is nothing but sky to bounce it of. lol, seen this more than a few times.

Horoscope Fish

Who makes a decent wrist strap or should I just skip it and hope the clutz monkee does not get me?
I use this Black Rapid wrist strap and attach it to the strap-lug on the camera body using a split-ring. You can attach the strap via the tripod socket as well, I just prefer to use the strap-lug. This strap makes it surprisingly comfortable to carry even my D750 (battery gripped) with a big, 70-200mm f/2.8 attached for long periods.

jonas_mendoza

What! Wow...How do you know your being labeled a "Newbie" and who cares. I'm not sure of the question now. Are you worried about how your perceived by other photographers or how much equipment to bring. Well let's look at your post. You want to shoot people, birds, landscape and macro. Go shoot people with what you have and see what works for you and make notes of what you used and repeat the step for each one. That should tell you what you need. You need to be comfortable using and understanding how your equipment works. Pro's get paid for what they are doing. They shoot their cameras like we tie our shoes. Pro's come with experience so they know what they need for a job. Most pro's are told what the client needs are so choice of equipment can be made much easier. If all else fails, and still can't figure out what you need, then bring everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rick M

I'm in trouble, always use lens caps and only use hood when needed! Lol, better change my status to newbie!

Whiskeyman

Thanks all... I am overthinking this...
Possibly, but you do have to consider how much gear you can travel with. I assume you're not driving and won't have the opportunity to take too much gear. If you are on any public transportation, take the gear that you can carry. You really don't want to check you camera gear on a trip.

WM

rick.osgood

Possibly, but you do have to consider how much gear you can travel with. I assume you're not driving and won't have the opportunity to take too much gear. If you are on any public transportation, take the gear that you can carry. You really don't want to check you camera gear on a trip.

WM

True, I will be on a guided tour with 17 others (mostly non-photographers). We will move from hotel to hotel so everything I do bring must go with me each day.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I read a statement somewhere from a pro photographer that they can spot a newbie a mile away because he/she has all or most of his camera gear with them. A real pro only takes what is needed. Well, as a newbie, I am not sure what I will need at any time so I bring it all in a backpack. Case in point, I will be going to Costa Rica in November and want to shoot people, birds, landscape and macro. I believe I need to carry everything but don't want the "Newbie" label. How do you pro's decide what to bring when in a diverse location?

Thanks

Real pros take all their equipment with them and have an assistant to carry the things they could need.

It seems you would like to showcase yourself as someone you are not. If you were a pro, you wouldn't be asking this question. So what is wrong if people in your group don't consider you as a pro? Did you get into this group posing as one? If not, just take what you can carry without too much pain after a full day of hiking and forget about what other people will think about you.

Think of the pictures you want to take and what you will need to take them. All the rest is of absolutely no importance.

Enjoy your trip and see what comes out of it.

Enjoy your Nikon.

Status
Not open for further replies.