Does anybody feel the way I do???????

Flugelbinder

I do not believe the camera can lie. It will record what is put in front of it. The manipulation of the subject matter, either before or after the recording is where the deception begins. You can include or exclude to your hearts content but the camera wil capture what is in front of it. If you choose to put a lie in front of the camera, or manipulate the image later (whether its the image itself or your minds perception of it), so be it. That is where the falseness exists, not with the camera.

Absolutely... And that´s where the vision and the magic begins. You can either trust what the camera "sees", or you can bend it, tweak it, to make it "see" what you want it to "see"...

co2jae

"The lie occurs where the image ends."

exactly. The camera simply captures the image it sees. The lie occurs afterwards. If you argue that since the camera cannot capture everything and is therefore lying by omission, then I would state your perception of that is true to you. My philosophy is different however and I do not think the camera is capable of manipulation (lying) of its own accord.

Flugelbinder

exactly. The camera simply captures the image it sees. The lie occurs afterwards. If you argue that since the camera cannot capture everything and is therefore lying by omission, then I would state your perception of that is true to you. My philosophy is different however and I do not think the camera is capable of manipulation (lying) of its own accord.

Otherwise we wouldn´t need the manual mode. We would simply chose the little figure on the main dial and hope for the best...

Dave_W

The Dude

If you agree that the lie begins where the frame ends then you would also have to agree with the statement - A picture is a partial truth, right? And therefore, the statement "A picture is also a partial lie" must also be true. However, truth, like pregnancy, cannot be partial. You are either pregnant or you are not pregnant, you can't be "kinda pregnant". Similarly, unless a picture is the full truth in all respects, it must, by definition be a lie. Perhaps a lie we can all agree resembles the truth to one degree or another but it remains a lie nevertheless.

But taking this a step further, the lie also occurs in the viewing of the picture. Your experiences and your biases will force you to "see" any given photo differently than someone else. Take the so-called "Obama selfie" taken at Mandela's funeral. Many people who looked at it saw it in a variety of ways. Which, if any, were the truth. The answer is none of them. Because the picture was a lie to begin with hence all interpretations after that point will also be a lie. So even if you could achieve a "truthful" picture, it would necessarily become a lie by the actual making of the image. Much like the Heisenberg uncertainty principle - as soon as you click the shutter you have created a bias that has fundamentally falsified the image and hence rendered it a lie.

Rick M

Since the sensor can't capture what we see ( limited dynamic range) electronic images are born lies. In post processing, we create or restore the site we envisioned (perhaps a double lie).

weebee

Since the sensor can't capture what we see ( limited dynamic range) electronic images are born lies. In post processing, we create or restore the site we envisioned (perhaps a double lie).

Nice! I like the double lie part. How true that can be.

That Steve Guy

Humans are the lie. We evocatively alter what we observe. Our flawed observations from a corrupt hippocampus induce changes that, even quiescently, forever alter the moment/environment. We are both the rock and the ripple in the water. Only the truly enlightened need no camera to take pictures. I think that is what the above two posts hinted at. Just my 2c after two beers : )

P.S. Since I am NOT ENLIGHTENED, I will gladly use my Nikon until which time it is no longer required a part of my existence ; )

Alan

Perception is Reality. Whatever you perceive is your reality, based on all the biases you bring with you. If you have ever studied all the photos from the aftermath of Gettysburg you find that many of them were staged. These still show the reality of war just not the truth of that moment in time.

When all else fails I prefer the philosophers....Calvin and Hobbes.

ch120920.gif

co2jae

Dave...but I do not agree that the lie begins where the frame ends....so I don't agree with the rest of it either....

Rick M

Humans are the lie. We evocatively alter what we observe. Our flawed observations from a corrupt hippocampus induce changes that, even quiescently, forever alter the moment/environment. We are both the rock and the ripple in the water. Only the truly enlightened need no camera to take pictures. I think that is what the above two posts hinted at. Just my 2c after two beers : )

P.S. Since I am NOT ENLIGHTENED, I will gladly use my Nikon until which time it is no longer required a part of my existence ; )

I was enlightened once, but I gained it all back :)

Brian

I have the sudden urge to dig out my Firesign Theater albums.

How can you be in two places at once when you're not anywhere at all?

You're a digital Hologram.

Flugelbinder

Wow guys!!! Great thread! Why did I have to go!?... I have to agree, and since we´re talking of underlying lies and absolute truths, I´ll give a simple example of an undeniable truth which everyone lies about... We all know that the Sun doesn´t rise, neither does the Sun set, yet we all lie, consciously, almost everyday about it... We, humans, are the liars, or better put, our brains are the liars and that´s why we try to capture - or edit - something different than what it´s really there... Because we - our brains - find the true image dull... Now an off-topic, not so off this time... Speaking of true enlightment, Budah is said to have given a silent sermon once, during which he held up a flower and simply gazed at it. After a while, a monk who´s name I don´t recall, began to smile. He is said to have been the only one who had understood the sermon. According to the legend, that smile - or enlighment, or realization - was handed down by some 28 sucessive masters and later became the origin of Zen... Eckhardt Tolle, A New Earth

Last edited:

Michael J.

Speaking of true enlightment, Budah is said to have given a silent sermon once, during which he held up a flower and simply gazed at it. After a while, a monk who´s name I don´t recall, began to smile. He is said to have been the only one who had understood the sermon. According to the legend, that smile - or enlighment, or realization - was handed down by some 28 sucessive masters and later became the origin of Zen...

Buddha is said to have given a “silent sermon” once during which he held up a flower and gazed at it. After a while, one of those present, a monk called Mahakasyapa, began to smile. He is said to have been the only one who had understood the sermon. According to legend, that smile (that is to say, realization) was handed down by twenty-eight successive masters and much late became the origin of Zen. --Eckhardt Tolle, A New Earth

RON_RIP

The camera is just a mechanical device. It cannot lie. Only we can do that. And even then, is it a lie? I prefer to think that what we try and achieve with our many edits and manipulation a of our photos is to show a truth as we sincerely believe it to be. And it is the diversity of our different beliefs that ad to the rich texture of our discourse.
I have arrived at this fundamental truth with the help of liberal helpings of Makers Mark 46, so it's all good.

richarde1605

Wow, fantastic insights into peoples perception of the camera, and the mind, thanks heaps.

Because what we think we see is not 'real', as in birds taking off for example, the camera captures an image of something our brain interprets in a different way. Our brain fills in gaps and adds in things to make them appear normal. This is the bit I like, trying to capture those things that our brain made up so it can be seen that what we thought we saw was a lie... That is the projection from the camera for me, the blurred space between the eye and the memory :)

Peace