Do you own a grey market nikon dslr camera body?

mikew_RIP

No matter what the headline statements are i dont think Nikon Japan would want word to get around that people cant get there cameras repaired,if no spares where available in any country repairers would just send to japan to china,it doesn't need to take long in this day and age.

Horoscope Fish

If it's that easy (notbut one tiny camera shop here in Raleigh), the by all means, buy grey. How about the indy's getting Nikon parts for grey? I've been under the impression you can't get the parts for grey? Sorry to be a pain, but covering the bases.
Not being a pain at all.

In answer to your question, I've only needed camera repair a couple times but both were grey market bodies. In short, my local shop doesn't care what the distribution channel was for my camera, they just want my business fixing it. As for parts, they order them from Nikon just like they do non-grey market camera bodies that are no longer under warranty.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

Not being a pain at all.

In answer to your question, I've only needed camera repair a couple times but both were grey market bodies. In short, my local shop doesn't care what the distribution channel was for my camera, they just want my business fixing it. As for parts, they order them from Nikon just like they do non-grey market camera bodies that are no longer under warranty.

All fears resolved....I'll buy grey next time around! Thanks!

SteveH

My D7100 is grey market, via DigitalRev - They also offer their own replacement warranty, should anything go worng.

photogramps

I have a 'grey' body which developed a fault.
The supplier in Hong Kong arranged for it to be sent to a UK Independent repairer who then sent it to Nikon UK, where the repair was completed. I don't have Nikon UK paperwork for the repair but was able to contact them to confirm they had it, that it was being repaired and to get an estimate of repair time and it was returned to me through the independent repairer.
Though I think this is different in the US :)

muzza

I've got a grey market d750 cost £1250 instead of £1750
comes with a 3 year Mack warrenty
£500 saving which I bought a 16mm zenitar 28-80mm Nikon 50mm f1.8 Nikon and 70-300mm vr Nikon all brand new !!!
makes no sense to pay the full price if you ask me

SteveH

Interestingly, I recently modified my home insurance policy to cover my camera gear at home and abroad against theft, accidental damage etc. The increased cover, up to 90 days abroad for a total "Full Camera bag" value of £3000 was £7 per month. I asked about my 70-200mm f2.8, as I bought that second hand for ~£945, and they said that the policy is new for old, regardless of whether the item was actually new when bought... I asked the guy to confirm that if I dropped my £945 lens into a river, that they would cover me for a brand new, retail lens currently selling for £1500 and he said "Yes, we would look to have the finds for replacement with you within 7 days, maybe 10 if you are abroad"

So depending on your moral compass, just make sure your grey market camera is well insured!

jimbro

My D750 is.
Bought it after reading numerous reviews of the shop and the fact hey give you a 3 year insurance-backed warranty.
Their warranty is with a long standing (reputable) Nikon dealer 20 miles from me.
Oh yes. I also cost over £500 less than UK retail.
So impressed with their service, I've ordered a Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 DI USD lens(£275 cheaper)

jimbro

Just bought a grey tamron 24-70mm f2.8 to go with my grey D750. Even managed to register it for 5 yr warranty with Tamron and way cheaper than retail