Dirty Front Element AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR

MWhiteDesigns

Good afternoon,
I recently acquired a used 55-300mm lens for super cheap ($10). The reason being because of water got behind the front element and has left spots. it also looks like a few pieces of sand also got in.
This lens works perfectly. The water spots aren't too noticeable in pictures except the lower right corner where it is a little blurry.
I've scoured for hours and haven't been able to find any repair manuals. Has anyone attempted to clean the inside of the front element of this lens? If so, how do you remove it? Looking at other tutorials the front end isn't the same so I am not sure where to start.
The only reason I am considering attempting this is because I only paid $10!
Thoughts and any help greatly appreciated.

mikew_RIP

Welcome to the forum,normally we would say dont do it but i dont think you have a lot to lose @ $10 :Djust had a look at mine and i cant see how you would remove it though.

Bill16

Welcome to our nikonites family! Sorry but I don't have one to look at, but I'd try to fix it too getting it for only $10! I hope you can! :)

Horoscope Fish

I've just had a look on google about cleaning the front lens, and did find this, which might help, (it's for a canon lens, but will give you an idea)

do it yourself {lens cleaning} - the space between
While I've never performed this surgery, I have seen it done and that's pretty much what I saw. I would suggest cotton or latex gloves. Also, their procured "pointy thing" was a bit scary... Maybe use something with, oh... I dunno... LESS RUST MAYBE? HMMMMM???!!?!

Not that I'm an expert...

Good luck to you sir!

MWhiteDesigns

Thanks guys. Much appreciated.

i've found some instructionals however the front end seems to be different than most lenses I've found.

The below might help some of you if looking to do it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcThWnzSGzs

However as i stated the front end looks different on the 55-300mm.
If you look at the pictures below you can see a ring, however there is no "hole" to start the prying. It seems as it sits right on the glass and I'd have to stick something between the glass and ring. That seems like a good way to scratch the glass.
PROD_SHOT_55-300mmDX_2011_07302.jpg

30-994-661-TS

Keep the comments coming though. Any help is appreciated!

Last edited:

MartinCornwall

I had loads of dust in the front of my Nikkor 18-200mm vrII which was a £600 lens. The dust was showing up in long exposure night photography with bright light sources. I got quoted £100 to clean it but a quick google and a 10 minute job and I did it myself. There were two tiny slots on each side of the front housing on this lens and I made a 'key' out of a plastic ice scraper to unscrew the front element. Was a bit weary at 1st but glad I did it myself as zooms always suck in air while zooming and it will need doing again at some point soon. Rear elements are a complete different story though.

MWhiteDesigns

Thanks Martin. This is done in the video link i posted above but as i stated the front of the lens is different. There are no tiny dots on the ring to do anything with. It's flat.

mikew_RIP

I had a sigma 135-400 and i have a feeling you had to split the lens somewhere near the middle then work your way towards the front element from the back of it.