Dilemma

Rick M

If IQ isn't enough, consider resale value down the road. You'll recoup much more of your investment if you stick with Nikon.

Blacktop

[MENTION=9753]Scott Murray[/MENTION]. I've stayed out of this thraed for 2 reasons.

One ,is because I don't know anything about the new Tamron G2 150-600mm lens, and the other reason is that early on they were some bad copies of the Nikon 200-500mm lenses with focus problems. I don't know if this is still the case however.

My copy of the Nikon is sharp and has no focusing problems. I never fine tuned it to my D750.
It is as sharp at 500mm wide open as it is at other focal lengths and apertures.

Sometimes I use my Kenko 1.4 TC with it, but I rather not if I don't have to. Works great with slower moving wildlife but not very good for tracking fast BIF action.

If I was looking at telephoto today, I would be comparing this lens and the new Tamron. I'm glad I don't have to go through that again.:)

Scott Murray

@Scott Murray. I've stayed out of this thraed for 2 reasons.

One ,is because I don't know anything about the new Tamron G2 150-600mm lens, and the other reason is that early on they were some bad copies of the Nikon 200-500mm lenses with focus problems. I don't know if this is still the case however.

My copy of the Nikon is sharp and has no focusing problems. I never fine tuned it to my D750.
It is as sharp at 500mm wide open as it is at other focal lengths and apertures.

Sometimes I use my Kenko 1.4 TC with it, but I rather not if I don't have to. Works great with slower moving wildlife but not very good for tracking fast BIF action.

If I was looking at telephoto today, I would be comparing this lens and the new Tamron. I'm glad I don't have to go through that again.:)

Yes i have heard that there have been Quality issue regarding the 200-500 if I do end up going for this lens I will definitely be testing it at the camera store prior to purchasing it.

Thank you for the response, just a question. Do you have any images with the 1.4TC and the 200-500? As I have that TC here somewhere aswell and would be keen to see what it is like.

Danno

I have to say that I really like my 200-500. The thing I like the best about it is the quick focus. I did have issues in the beginning, but @Blacktop gave me some pointers and it really helped. It just seems to be a solid lens. I like the fixed minimum aperture too. I know the Sigma Sport has a lot of great reviews. The new Tamron as well. I really have not tried them. When I tried out the lens in the camera store I was sold.

Blacktop

TKC_D500

I've been stuck in the same decision mode since the G2 was announced. I have rented and tried all of the players Except the G2 and have decided on the 200-500. Paired with my D500, it was just the one that felt right to me. Handling, IQ, focusing, etc just seemed a better fit for my shooting style. I will be picking mine up 1 week from today! Good luck with Your decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RocketCowboy

I'm late to the discussion as well, but just throwing my $0.02 worth in (before it's not worth any less).

I've had an opportunity to shoot the Tamron 150-600 G1 on a few occasions. I now currently own the Nikon 200-500. From what I see of the G2 upgrades that Tamron is doing across it product lines, I suspect the 150-600 G2 will be even better than the original product, without question. That said, for me ... I think it's the fixed f/5.6 on the Nikon that really helps with the AF performance. More light gets in, so it's easier to track and focus. When I run a 1.4 TC on the 200-500, the AF performance is more like what I experienced with the 150-600. With the G2 lens still being an f/6.3 on the long end (they didn't improve the aperture across the zoom range, right?), I don't see it being any more snappy to auto-focus than the 200-500.

With the right light, the extra reach of the 150-600 is great, but the performance trade off ... at least with the G1 ... was too much for me.

Scott Murray

I'm late to the discussion as well, but just throwing my $0.02 worth in (before it's not worth any less).

I've had an opportunity to shoot the Tamron 150-600 G1 on a few occasions. I now currently own the Nikon 200-500. From what I see of the G2 upgrades that Tamron is doing across it product lines, I suspect the 150-600 G2 will be even better than the original product, without question. That said, for me ... I think it's the fixed f/5.6 on the Nikon that really helps with the AF performance. More light gets in, so it's easier to track and focus. When I run a 1.4 TC on the 200-500, the AF performance is more like what I experienced with the 150-600. With the G2 lens still being an f/6.3 on the long end (they didn't improve the aperture across the zoom range, right?), I don't see it being any more snappy to auto-focus than the 200-500.

With the right light, the extra reach of the 150-600 is great, but the performance trade off ... at least with the G1 ... was too much for me.

I am holding off right now as may get a different lens.