Depth of Field Preview Button

J-see

I use the DOF preview button all the time... after a while, you begin to get an innate sense of what it's supposed to show, and you skip the step... it's more of a "reminder" that I'm at the F-stop I think I'm at, without taking my eye away from the viewfinder to double check the aperture...

Don't you see the aperture in the viewfinder?

I tried the Pv a couple of times yesterday but the main difference I noticed was it getting darker. It's of less use when shooting the wide I guess.

480sparky

Don't you see the aperture in the viewfinder?

I tried the Pv a couple of times yesterday but the main difference I noticed was it getting darker. It's of less use when shooting the wide I guess.

The aperture alone will not show you what the DOF is. You either need to do the math (based on your camera, focal length and focus point), or you can press the DOF preview.

Of course it gets darker. It has to in order to preview the DOF. It cannot be done with the lens wide open (unless that's the aperture you're shooting at).

sonicbuffalo_RIP

Oh ill be springing for a D7100 soon. But Nikon will have to be patient. At least they're doing better than Canon from what I hear.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 4

D7100 is a great camera.....stock is gonna jump! Then you'll get to see what a DoF button is and how it works. If you want to know the truth, until I read the article, I didn't even know what it was or what it did. All the reading I have ever done on the 7100 never told me what it did, and so I didn't think it was relevant. To tell you te truth, it's a cool gadget button, but as you said, one could still take good photographs without it.

Nero

D7100 is a great camera.....stock is gonna jump! Then you'll get to see what a DoF button is and how it works. If you want to know the truth, until I read the article, I didn't even know what it was or what it did. All the reading I have ever done on the 7100 never told me what it did, and so I didn't think it was relevant. To tell you te truth, it's a cool gadget button, but as you said, one could still take good photographs without it.

I'll probably try it out but I don't know if I'll use it that much.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 4