December Assignment: Kitsch decorations

Status
Not open for further replies.

wornish

Entry #3

Wooden Bird.jpg

Bob Blaylock

Second entry:

Since the month is almost over, and it doesn't look likely that I will see any better examples of Christmas kitsch, I guess I'll submit, for my remaining two entries, a few shots that I've produced that I like, but which may not really count as proper kitsch.

This was from a different yard than the one where I found the inflatable Santa Claus in my first entry. I had intended to go back to that first yard, to photograph a tree that I wanted to use in the Christmas Lights weekly challenge, having taken a very good picture of that tree the week before, that didn't qualify because it had not been taken during the week of that challenge; only to find that that yard was not lit up that night. A few days I found that yard had been lit up, but apparently thieves/vandals had hit it, stealing some of the decorations therefrom, including some on the tree that I wanted to use, and also the inflatable Santa Claus, which I had already photographed and used for my first entry here.

But on this night, having found that yard not lit up, I drove around looking for another display that appealed to me, and ended up finding this one.

I HDRed this one using Microsoft Geodesic HDR, and then popstprocessed the solid digestive waste out of the result using a few other programs which, over the course of my time on Nikonites, this forum had directed me to free, albeit outdated versions.*

ChristmasLights_20141210_DxOFP_DxOn.jpg

Last edited:

Bob Blaylock

Third entry:

Back to the first yard; This was taken a week before a weekly challenge in which I would have wanted to use it, the same yard in which I photographed the inflatable Santa Claus that made my first entry. On a night during that subsequent week, when I went back to photograph this tree again for that challenge, I found that vandals had stolen most of the hanging ornaments from this tree, as well as the inflatable Santa Claus. I did end up using the picture I took that night of this tree, for that challenge, but the missing ornaments made it less impressive than when I took this picture.

DSC_5479_stitchN.jpg

Other photographs that I took the same night I took this one, at the same location, may be see at this URL: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_blaylock/sets/72157649232145150/

Zerobeat

What could be more iconic (and yet, Kitschy) than this mass-produced goodie:
Charlie Brown Tree2.jpg

Had a little problem with the background, my editing skills are still, er...developing.;)

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Time to start casting your "LIKES" as this assignment is getting closer and closer to it's end.

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
Entry #3

All of this "Stuff" was scattered around the house for the holidays. I don't know where, but it was. Ha! Now it's time to pile it up to put away for another year.

--- EXIF ----
Make : NIKON CORPORATION
Camera Model Name : NIKON D5300
Orientation : Horizontal (normal)
Exposure Time : 0.4
F Number : 25.0
Exposure Program : Aperture-priority AE
ISO : 400
Date/Time Original : 2014:12:29 09:09:32
Create Date : 2014:12:29 09:09:32
Exposure Compensation : 0
Max Aperture Value : 5.7