Dead pixels

Clovishound

Well, it looks like I have some dead pixels in the sensor on my Z5. They are too small to see unless the image is either cropped or enlarged a good bit. I saw it a while back and used a rocket to clean the sensor. I thought that solved it as I couldn't see after taking a test shot. I appear that LR and PS are just hiding it. It is visible in LR and PS if I have run the NEF through one of the Topaz programs. It's very easy to remove in this case, but it bugs me. I understand that Nikon can remap the sensor. Don't know how much that costs. Anyone have this problem before?

I took a screenshot of it under extreme magnification. It actually looks like 9 pixels.

Screenshot 2023-06-01 101844.jpg

Clovishound

The one year warranty is up. It actually started around the time the warranty expired, but didn't realize there was an actual problem until the other day, thanks to LR and PS hiding it.

I did a little more research and found that Nikon's mid tier service includes remapping sensors. It runs $73. The only issue then is to decide when I want to be out of my camera for a couple weeks. As a bonus, they will check a few other things like AF and meter accuracy. Their premium tier service includes calibrating the AF, adjusting exposure metering, and inspecting and adjusting the reflex mirror, oh wait. Not sure if it would be worth the extra $21 as I haven't noticed any issues with the AF or focus. Still, it's only $20.

I think it would be well worth $100/120, including shipping cost, to get this fixed. Yes, it's easy enough to work around. In fact, if I don't run it through Topaz, I don't even know it's there. Still, it will probably be in the back of my mind until I get it fixed.

Clovishound

I've got my old D3400. It's a bit of a comedown, but gets the job done. Summer is coming, and I won't be getting out shooting as much. I suppose I could dig out one of my old Pentaxes and get a few rolls of Fujifilm. Or not.

Fred, I would love one of the Z8s, but I really can't justify $4K on a hobby tool. And, yes, the plan is to get it fixed. If I were looking at a substantially higher repair cost, I might just learn to live with it, but at around $100, it's a no-brainer.

Danno

What's the cause of this you think? And what's the rate at which this happens in the Z-camera case?
that is an interesting question. I think the only way to find out is contacting Nikon. I think they would be reluctant to share the info. If it turns out to be an issue we will hear bad news travels fast.

Clovishound

I would not be surprised if sensor damage becomes a more common issue with mirrorless cameras. Having said that, I have no idea if it was just one of those electronic failure things, or physical damage. If it were physical damage, I would expect to see a larger area affected. I try and be very careful when the lens is off. The Z9 and Z8 have a sensor shield that comes down when powered off, if that mode is selected. I would like to see that feature in all mirrorless cameras.

Clovishound

I shot a few birds at the backyard feeder, and no sign of the offending spot.

I got lucky. I remember something about a reference photo option and thought I'd check it out, and then found the pixel mapping near the sensor cleaning option. I suppose the pixel mapping service Nikon offers would be valuable for cameras without that feature in their software. My D3400 doesn't have it. Had I sent it off, they would likely have just used the menu option and performed the other maintenance they do and shipped it back fixed, when I could have fixed the main issue myself. There are so many menu options in this camera it's mind boggling.

Perhaps my experience will save someone else from a needless trip to Nikon service. I'm glad Nikon included this in their software.

BF Hammer

I bet your D3400 has a menu option to lock-up the mirror and shutter for sensor cleaning. You won't find that available on the Z5 no matter how hard you search for it. I won't say how I know that, don't bother asking! ;)

BF Hammer

BTW, dust does not have to be black in your images, but the basic green, red, and blue specks are a bit more likely to be damaged pixels. I would have gone to a wet cleaning of the sensor with the sensor cleaner fluid on one of those wide sensor swabs. Then tried the pixel mapping menu item. It is far easier to clean a Z-body sensor than it is to try to peer into a F-mount body, but of course dust settles on the Z sensor easier also.