Dead heading

Silversnapper

Two items heading for the recycling bins:
Dead_Heading.jpg

I've just noticed that the exif data shows a created date of 2023, this is wrong and should be 2024-the camera date is set wrong and puts my ineptitude on display again. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
You can clean up that rusty tool by soaking it in vinegar. My husband does that with rusty tools he finds on the road when we ride our bikes.

Silversnapper

Thanks for looking and you are quite right Marilynne, however the pivot pin and hole of these pincers is badly worn and not worth re-bushing now as I have several others in excellent condition. These were presented to my father-in-law when he was an apprentice fitter and, given my age, I'm guessing they must be close on 100 years old so they have had a good life.

Clovishound

I have a soft spot for old tools. To have a family connection just adds a whole new dimension to the mix. I've bought a number of old woodworking tools at fleas, pawns and antique stores. I enjoyed bringing an old tool back to functioning condition. I've got enough old hand planes in my shop to outfit a number of traditional woodworkers.

I like the contrast between the old, rustic look of the tool with the new, pristine look of the flower.

Silversnapper

Thank you for your comment Clovishound and I think we are of a similar mindset. Woodworking and wood turning was my other hobby until arthritis in my hands finally put paid to it some 20-odd years ago. Despite my refusal to accept it, the day I struck a golf shot and the club went further than the ball I knew I had to call time. Nowadays I can't close my fist around a pencil never mind control hand tools safely.

I too collected old woodworking and engineering tools and although I have given most of them away now, out of nostalgia I have hung on to my vintage plough plane and full set of irons, a couple of wooden jack and smoothing planes and of course some vintage spanners etc.

Clovishound

I leaned more towards the iron hand planes. I have a slew of Stanleys, and Millers Falls out in the garage. I also enjoyed getting some of the old socket chisels that needed some work. Having the lathe made replacing handles easy and fun. I even tried my hand at making totes and knobs. I have a #5 that I made a set of knob and tote out of bloodwood. It's a bit much, color wise, for some, but it is a wonderful wood to work with, and feels great in the hand.