D850 with old or new 24-70!?

Nero

Indeed, in the heads up test performed by DxO on the Tamron against both Nikon offerings it was superior in every category. That ended up being my deciding factor to go Tamron vs. Nikon for my 24-70.
Yeah I've been doing a lot of research and I think I'm going to go with the Tamron. All the reviews I've seen are very positive.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

spb_stan

I have the non-vr 24-70 2.8 and think it is a fine workhorse lens but even the low cost f/1.8 primes beat it, and every other zoom. In the studio I don't care about VR because I control the conditions for out and about or events the VR would make a big difference in getting low light shots handheld.
Last night I bought a Tamron 15-30 2.8, after debating with myself over the 14-24 2.8 Nikkor or the Tamron. I had no other Tamron but the $450 price difference swayed me. I was not even considering the VR but took the long way walking home from the store and shooting night scene, it became apparent in 2 shots that 1/2 second exposures at f2.8 and ISO100 I was amazed how much better the Tamron was in its stabilization over any other lens I have. I will have to try out their 24-70. 50 shots later on a dark night slow shutter without a tripod became feasible.
The feel of the Tamron is very nice and looking at the results in Light Room this morning confirmed I had reasons to be very happy with the addition.

spb_stan

i am really suspicious of DxOmark ratings, with the ratings changing a lot between the camera models and 2 reviews of the same lens on the same body with different ratings of sharpness and other traits.

Note that the Tokina 24-70 does not have stabilization so if one shoots in low light, they are better off with a little bit more expensive brands with VR. If one shoots in the studio or daylight, it is not important to have image stabilization. With IS/VR/VC it becomes a much more versatile lens allowing to shoot 3-5 stops slower for a dramatic difference in noise and DR.

Ad B

Hi,

I would save money and buy a non Nikon...
I had a Tamron "G1" version at my D750 and later my D850.
Fine tuning with my D850 went quite well, but it was a compromise.
It was sharp at 24, 35 50 mm but not quite tack sharp at 70 mm.
If I tuned it that it was sharp at 70 mm, it wasn't at 24 and 35 mm.
I didn't have that problem with the D750.
A comparison with the Tamron "G1" lens and a Nikon 24-70 non VR resulted that the Nikon wasn't sharper, but it's AF was faster.
6 months ago I bought the Tamron G2 version.
With Tamrons docking station, I could fine tune this lens perfectly.
AF Fine tuning at 12 (!!) places in the lens.
At 4 focal lengths and at 3 object distances.
In a comparison with my friends Nikon 24-70 non VR lens and my new G2 version, my new Tammy was the winner...
Sharpness is perfect now and it's faster as the "G1" version of Tamron, I think at least as fast the Non VR Nikon if not faster.
The Tamron lenses are smaller as the Nikon versions.
The Nikon 24-70 lenses extends less as the Tamron 24-70 lenses.
I don't now how Sigma 24-70 lenses or Tokina 24-70 is in sharpness and speed.

Which is the best 24-70 to buy?
It's a personal thing, I think you can't go wrong.
Both Tammy's and Nikon's are very good (Sigma and Tokina maybe too...).
I hate to pay too much for something, I'm not a "pure" Nikon fan.
The Nikon VR cost more as twice as much as a Tamron G2 version...
My wife and I could go on a nice holiday for a week, for that price difference... What do you think my wife was saying...??

This was the psychological approach ...
Tell your wife, the Tamron lens cost about €1200,-, the Nikon version cost €2500,-...
After that, you say to her you don't know for sure which to buy...
She will be happy if you buy the Tamron and go both for a holiday to a nice warmer spot in winter time... :loyal: :encouragement: :eek:
(We went to Sevilla, Spain for a week...)

Plaza de Espagña, Sevilla.

Last edited: