D850 lens gremlin- help

Adam Forcade

I have a really weird Nikon gremlin that I hope somebody can help with. I just bought a D850 and it works perfectly with every FX lens I have EXCEPT my 85MM 1.4D. In manual mode the camera will not change the aperture with the front command wheel that way it should, and does with all of my other lenses. If I take the 85 and put it on my older camera(D500) it works just as it should. If I unlock the 85mm 1.4 and change the ring manually the aperture readout on the camera changes to reflect the setting I dialed. To me this indicates that the camera works fine with every other lens, and the lens works fine on another camera which rules out a mechanical issue with either. Anybody have any insight? I did update the firmware on the camera to 1.30 before putting it into operation.
EDIT- It does the same thing with the 105DC

Last edited:

Needa

Challenge Team
Don't think this is going to be much help. On the D810 and D7100 the 105D will give an error code fE E if the aperture is set to anything other than minimum aperture. It appears that is the same error that the 850 should produce if not set minimum according to the online manual. Have you tried cleaning the lens and lens mount contacts? Also have you tried a complete two button reset?

Last edited:

Adam Forcade

Yes I ran into that issue on the 105 when I bought it and put it on my D500. I did the two button reset a couple of times but have not cleaned the contacts. I don't think that's it given that it works fine on my other camera but I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

Adam Forcade

So nothing worked and nothing made any logical sense. I reached out to Roberts camera where I bought it and they got a D850 expert on the phone with me. He walked me through several things that didn't work and finally had me do a menu reset rather than the 2 button. Once that reset was complete we powered the camera off and back on and lo and behold- both lenses work as they should. (shrugs) lol

Needa

Challenge Team
Glad you got it sorted. Wouldn't have thought a menu reset would do some thing a two button wouldn't.