D850 and 200-500 mm lens stuck together

JOHN_MORR

Nikon sent me 2 invoices. One for the camera for $360 and one for the lens for $443. I approved the first one thinking that was the whole deal. Today I talked to Nikon and found that the lens arrived damaged (delivered by UPS). The filter ring and filter glass was broken (and there could be other damage inside). These were fine when I shipped the camera. The package was insured so Nikon is getting photos of the damage and by my understanding they will handle that with UPS and they will be responsible for the $443. Hope that works out. I told Nikon I have proof the lens was fine the day I shipped it because I took photos with it and it worked just fine. The only issue was they couldn't be separated.

JOHN_MORR

Lens+release+pin+damaged.jpgDamaged pins which retract when button is pushed.

Dawg Pics

Oh no, I hope all get corrected without costing more money or hassle.
Beautiful images on your website.

Last edited:

JOHN_MORR

My package was damaged by UPS. It has taken considerable effort getting Nikon to make the damage available for UPS to inspect. I told Nikon I would get UPS to inspect immediately. UPS sent me message that they had made multiple attempts to see the package but were unsuccessful. Thus another week delay at least. Hopefully Monday Nikon will make it available. This shouldn't be so hard.

Texas

I trust Sony has improved !? They used to be the very worst, and not that long ago.
Sorry, back to the regularly scheduled program (topic).

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
My package was damaged by UPS. It has taken considerable effort getting Nikon to make the damage available for UPS to inspect. I told Nikon I would get UPS to inspect immediately. UPS sent me message that they had made multiple attempts to see the package but were unsuccessful. Thus another week delay at least. Hopefully Monday Nikon will make it available. This shouldn't be so hard.

Over the summer I noticed that packages from B&H were shipped via FedEX instead of their usual shipping through UPS. If I have any expensive, breakable items to ship, I think I will steer clear of UPS. Hope this gets sorted out soon for you. Call Nikon and ask to speak with a supervisor.

JOHN_MORR

Nikon provided me with good photos of package damage, but not one of the top of the box showing the label, I asked Nikon many times to take a photo of the top of the box so I could provide it to UPS as they requested. Apparently the box is not longer available but rather than tell me that, they just ignore my requests. Nikon also has not made package available for inspection by UPS. UPS said they made multiple attempts. The Nikon Call center seems to be a mess. It is in NY and my camera repair is in LA. They communicate by email and not that well on my case. I have spoken to at least 2 supervisors and they seem little better than the other staff. I learned not to ship UPS, and not UPS through Staples.

JOHN_MORR

UPS put the responsibility back on me to see that Nikon makes the packaging available for inspection. I cannot make Nikon do anything.

JOHN_MORR

Pins holding camera and lens together are apparently not as sturdy as you would think. I kept my D850 and 200-500 together all the time. I recommend buying the long term accidental coverage if you have a big lens hung on your D850 all the time.

Tat

I use the 300mm f2.8 with my D850 and my D500 but i have never had any issues, mind i always have the lens strap slightly shorter than the camera strap so the weight of the lens is not on the camera body, generally i always have the 2x converter attached also.

JOHN_MORR

I carry mostly by the lens mount, switching hands along the way. On long hikes over several days my shoulders can get very sore. Anyway the pins holding the lens are not as strong as you think. I hope they have replaced mine with stronger metal. You would think there is a metal strong enough.. My pin/pins were apparently bent but made much worse by the damage done by the shipper. I don't think they have to be bent much to not release. Best thing to help is to buy accident insurance because if it happens under warranty, Nikon will say it is not covered because it is "impact" damage.

Tat

Yes, i took out camera gear insurance to cover every eventuality, especially dropping my camera and breaking my lens, i wouldn't like to replace it because it wasn't insured :)

robproctor83

Wow man I just read the whole thread and you really had some bad luck there. Hopefully things will get back to normal and you will be able to go back to taking more awesome photos. Best of luck.