D810 will not power on

martini

I have a Nikon D810 and have just completed a sensor clean.

The camera went into mirror up mode and I was able to access the sensor for cleaning. After cleaning I turned the camera off. At this point the shutter closed but the mirror remained up.

When the camera is turned on again the LCD is blank and the camera does not function at all. It is as if there is no battery in the camera . I have tried different fully charged batteries and lenses without success. The mirror is in the up position even when the battery is out. It as if it is stuck.

Does anyone know if this is fixable?

BF Hammer

Did you attempt to push the shutter release button yet? I would try that 1st then try removing the battery and press-hold the shutter-release for 30 seconds to get the capacitors to discharge. Then put a charged battery back in and try pressing the shutter again if needed.

That is about as far as an end user can try repairing that. Goes to repair after.

Needa

Challenge Team
You might also try removing the lens and memory cards and repeating the step mentioned by BF Hammer.

martini

Tried all of the above suggestions. It's now been without a battery for a couple of hours - still dead. Looks like it may need to go to the repair centre or worst case replacing.
Thanks for your help.

martini

It’s been a couple of days since the D810 stopped working and I have not seen any form of life in the camera.

Normally, when I turn the camera off or take the battery out the mirror is in the DOWN position and it is clearly visible. This make me believe the default position for the mirror is DOWN.

With the battery out, the mirror is UP and the shutter (closed) is visible. You can manually move the mirror down but it does not latch and has a spring forcing it back to the UP position.

Does this mean something in the mirror box assembly has broken? Would this explain why the camera does not switch on or is it likely that there is a main board problem too?

Needa

Challenge Team
Mirror in the down position is normal, this allows viewing in the viewfinder. It only moves to the up position when the shutter release is pressed. If it is in the up position when turned off something is indeed wrong.