D800 vs D4

stmv

so different cameras, seems like the D4 is the perfect sports camera, high burst transfer rate, super fast focus. while the D800 is for the poster size landscape shots, very fine macro camara, can be used in a pinch for sports but know its limitations.

Last edited:

Sambr

so different cameras, seems like the D4 is the perfect sports camera, high burst transfer rate, super fast focus. while the D800 is for the poster size landscape shots, very fine macro camara, can be used in a pinch for sports but know its limitations.

Also for wildlife, I have been using the D800 in that capacity and I rather like it.

RobertsPhotog

Also for wildlife, I have been using the D800 in that capacity and I rather like it.

More MP is where its at for wildlife. For sure. If I had the money I would go 80MP for those shots. Sadly, that Mamiya is out of my reach.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

theregsy

I own the D700 and a D800 along with a somewhat long in the tooth D2x. You can't pigeon hole any of these cameras, nor the D4, d3 etc. They are all brilliant tools for capturing an image, although the D2x is a little long in the tooth now. All of the recent higher end Nikons have amazing high ISO/low light performance. the bigg is the resolution thing, if Nikon had released the D800 with the same sensor as the D4 we would all say OK fair enough. But they didn't and I will be using my D800 for anything that I want to photograph when I have it with me, I used the D700 to photo landscapes, wildlife, motorsports, football, cricket and festivals/gigs the D800 will be going after the same thing and after a few outings with similar success. All the D4 range is is faster, you get higher speed burst, a few more toys built in and a build quality and longevity that is amazing but reading some of these comments you would think that the D800 would be awful at anything other than landscape, it most certainly does other things as well, due to the image size it can't do it as fast but it will do it with a massive amount of detail and for under £2000 its a brilliant camera for that price.