D7500 and Tamron 100-400 F/4.5-6.3 VR issues?

robstopper

Hi folks,

I recently upgraded from a D3200 to a D7500, and took it out for the first time earlier this week. I was playing around with some of the settings in fairly low light in an aircraft hangar, experimenting with how far I could push things like the ISO compared to the D3200, so I wasn't expecting to get "perfect" results on a trial session.

Using my Tamron 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 was OK, I was finding at first that on the ISO I would have used on the D3200, the shutter speed was much longer on the D7500 and the VR didn't seem to be quite as effective. Increasing the ISO to 1250 or 1600 helped though, and I got some better shots.

Switching to the 100-400mm lens outside though, in very overcast weather, taking pictures of aircraft in flight, was very underwhelming! Now I'm a few months out of practice, and this was my first time using the D7500, but the settings which usually worked on the D3200 with the same lens just weren't working. I used single point, 9 point, and 51 point AF, different VC settings on the lens, but I barely got a single "good" image.

I think the problems were mostly with my ability to hold the camera sufficiently stable and pan smoothly, but they were never this noticeable on my old camera. Are there any compatibility issues between the D7500 and the Tamron 100-400mm lens? the stabilisation effect you get looking through the view finder doesn't seem as noticeable on the D7500 as it was on the D3200, with that there was a pronounced "freezing" of the image when it stabilised.

Needa

Challenge Team
Going from the D5100 to the D7100 I had a long learning curve. The D3200 and D7500 are different beasts, put the what worked out of you mind and concentrate on what works now. Unless I missed it you didn't mention your shooting mode. One recommendation shoot some image in full auto and see how the camera would handle the situation.
Is it possible that the lens needs a firmware update to function correctly with the D7500 maybe contact Tamron about the issue.

Last edited:

robstopper

I was in shutter priority for the aerial shots, set to 1/200th. I'm not sure if it was an AF issue or VR, but had noticed that the VR effect wasn't as strong for want of a better description than it had been on the D3200.

You're not wrong about them being different beasts! What was a menu choice on the D3200 is now a button, what was a button is now a switch, what was a switch is now TWO switches.....steep learning curve for sure! I guess I did expect the same settings to provide the same or at least similar results.

Needa

Challenge Team
You might need to bump that shutter speed up some. With a 300mm lens most of may save aircraft images are a 320 or higher. So with a 400mm I'd probably start at least 400 for moving objects.

robstopper

I got good results with the 400mm lens on my old D3200, such as this from Duxford last year. Going up to 1/400 with the prop driven warbirds I mostly photograph will lose too much motion from the props.

And from Brands Hatch

So, I'd kind of expected to get as good results with the new, more capable D7500, right off the bat.

robstopper

Thanks Captain.

I may pop back to Duxford this weekend for another trial. It's probably a case of expecting too much, too quickly, when it's a drastically different piece of kit. Putting too much pressure on myself like I usually do to just have great pictures fall in to my SD card!

robstopper

Here's a few of my results from the first experiment on Saturday. The hangar was very poorly lit, and on the ISO I would have used with the D3200, the shutter speed was too slow for handheld; ramping up the ISO past where the noise levels on the D3200 would have been unacceptable quickened the shutter speed to a useable point, without too much noise. It did seem though that the VR wasn't as effective or noticeable on the D7500 with my Tamron 18-200mm lens? Or perhaps it's just quieter and less obstrusive in operation on the newer and better camera?

The picture of the Harvard landing is the only here taken with the 400mm Tamron, and it was one of the few worthwhile shots. I've read elsewhere that turning OFF the VR, whilst counter-intuitive, actually helps the autofocus?

DSC-0397-2.jpg
View attachment DSC-0524-2.jpg

DSC-0398-2.jpg
DSC-0518-Sharpen-AI-Standard-2.jpg
DSC-0523-2.jpg
DSC-0452-2.jpg

Last edited:

Bikerbrent

Nice plane Photos Robstopper. Was the D7500 camera with the Tamron 18-200mm lens used for most of these photos (I know the Harvard landing was taken with the 400mm Tamron)?

robstopper

Yes sir, all on the D7500, with the 18-200mm, except for the Harvard.

It was my go-to, catch-all lens on the old D3200. I know the lighting wasn't the best, although it wasn't atypical for Duxford's hangars, but it didn't seem to be as trouble-free, effortless photography when mounted on the D7500.

Needa

Challenge Team
Here's a few of my results from the first experiment on Saturday. The hangar was very poorly lit, and on the ISO I would have used with the D3200, the shutter speed was too slow for handheld; ramping up the ISO past where the noise levels on the D3200 would have been unacceptable quickened the shutter speed to a useable point, without too much noise. It did seem though that the VR wasn't as effective or noticeable on the D7500 with my Tamron 18-200mm lens? Or perhaps it's just quieter and less obstrusive in operation on the newer and better camera?

The picture of the Harvard landing is the only here taken with the 400mm Tamron, and it was one of the few worthwhile shots. I've read elsewhere that turning OFF the VR, whilst counter-intuitive, actually helps the autofocus?

View attachment 388766View attachment 388767

View attachment 388768View attachment 388769View attachment 388770View attachment 388771

Very nice.
Should post those here. https://nikonites.com/forum/threads/post-your-aviation-shots.7040/post-800132

Dawg Pics

The D7500 is a little heavier than than the D3200. Not a huge amount, but it might be enough to affect your panning until you get used to it.

You might need to experiment with exposure and your EV settings. Some people find they have to adjust it because their camera shot a bit underexposed compared to a different camera they were shooting before. I don't know about the D7500, but the D500 has an internal setting called "Fine Tune Optimal Exposure" where you can make an adjustment for each metering method. On my camera it is b7 in the menu. Maybe you can adjust it slightly to get it more like what you are used to.
I found my D500 shots were a bit dark compared to my D300.

robstopper

Thanks Dawg, that does make sense as I understand the D7500 shares a lot with the D500.

I'm heading off to Snetterton, my local racetrack, this morning to get some more camera practice at a trackday, so will give those suggestions a try

Dawg Pics

I hope you end up loving your D7500. I think you will once you get to know it better.
I looked at your images. They are really good. Your website is very nice.