D7200 v D500 : Is it twice the camera?

Danno

Unless you're livelihood depends on it no one should be hitting hardship for any hobby purchases. After decades of making music as my vice I'm slowing trading in things that make sound for things that make pictures, so it's all good. I'm fortunate that I can consider gear like this as a hobbiest, but that's one of the upsides to the many downsides of not having kids for us. I likely would be shooting with the D7200 now had I not landed a D7100 refurb when I got tired of cropping huge D800 images. I completely understand Elliott's argument about moving up one notch and that's why I didn't when it came out - but after 18 months with the D750 the ISO on the D7100 is a noticeable distraction when I'm shooting birds in shadows.

Every website on the planet has said "End of April" for a couple months. A guy at B&H had mentioned the 21st at one point, but I haven't seen that date anywhere. I've also heard the Nikon pros will get priority on the initial batch and guys like me might be waiting on backorders. I also got in late so even among them I'm at the back of the line. We'll see.
I hear you. My son has all my guitar stuff except my Alvarez and Taylor... kind of thankful he didn't share my passion for motorcycles and now photography. ☺

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

RocketCowboy

I hear you. My son has all my guitar stuff except my Alvarez and Taylor... kind of thankful he didn't share my passion for motorcycles and now photography. ☺

That's why I love this group ... music, motorcycles, guns and cameras. What's there not to get along with! :)

singlerosa_RIP

Don't forget cars....

in big red w camera.jpg

Elliot87

Unless you're livelihood depends on it no one should be hitting hardship for any hobby purchases. After decades of making music as my vice I'm slowing trading in things that make sound for things that make pictures, so it's all good. I'm fortunate that I can consider gear like this as a hobbiest, but that's one of the upsides to the many downsides of not having kids for us. I likely would be shooting with the D7200 now had I not landed a D7100 refurb when I got tired of cropping huge D800 images. I completely understand Elliott's argument about moving up one notch and that's why I didn't when it came out - but after 18 months with the D750 the ISO on the D7100 is a noticeable distraction when I'm shooting birds in shadows.

This hits the nail on the head for me, I'm not considering the D500 precisely because this is my hobby and buying a new body plus a £1000 lens would certainly mean hardships, mostly in the form of anger from my financial advisor, aka my wife, but also because we're saving for a once in a lifetime opportunity to move to New Zealand for a year and I can justify jeopardizing that to fund my hobby.

If I only had to consider myself, the D500 would be tempting now for sure.

That's why I love this group ... music, motorcycles, guns and cameras. What's there not to get along with! :)

At the moment I'm being torn by my love of two of those for things. I have some nice guns I'm barely using that I could sell and raise all the money I need to have me well set up with photography, but I'm loathed to sell them. Maybe one day but for now I can't part with them.

Danno

At the moment I'm being torn by my love of two of those for things. I have some nice guns I'm barely using that I could sell and raise all the money I need to have me well set up with photography, but I'm loathed to sell them. Maybe one day but for now I can't part with them.

I sold the Motorcycle this year because I could no longer ride. I agree... selling guns is difficult. I have thought about it a few times because I do not shoot much anymore, but it is tough to part with them.

Elliot87

I sold the Motorcycle this year because I could no longer ride. I agree... selling guns is difficult. I have thought about it a few times because I do not shoot much anymore, but it is tough to part with them.

I have one rifle in particular than I almost never use, it's the most valuable I have and I really don't have any reason to own it. Except that it is a beauty and was a gift from my dad when I graduated so has more meaning. Right now the only thing I'd be content selling is my old break barrel air rifle but I doubt that would raise enough to buy a UV filter for a 200-500mm let alone anything else.

MaxBlake

While it doesn't solve the immediate financial problem, passing keepsakes down to the next generation is an option that I've been looking at of late. This includes a dusting off of the will, which is sadly out of date. My son will be the recipient of a number of my items that he has shows some interest in; the same is true with my daughter. But if they aren't interested, and if the item in question is mererly collecting dust (be it a firearm or a Martin guitar or an older model camera body), then the logical option is to sell it now and use the cash for something that will bring you some happiness in the here and now. That could be an updated lens. It also could be a cruise. :)

Singlerosa's photo (above) frightens me. I thought texting was a bad idea, but this ...? Holy cow. :confused:

Philnz

This hits the nail on the head for me, I'm not considering the D500 precisely because this is my hobby and buying a new body plus a £1000 lens would certainly mean hardships, mostly in the form of anger from my financial advisor, aka my wife, but also because we're saving for a once in a lifetime opportunity to move to New Zealand for a year and I can justify jeopardizing that to fund my hobby.

If I only had to consider myself, the D500 would be tempting now for sure.

When you come to New Zealand. "Leave you Guns at Home Son Leave your guns at Home" If you come here for a year you may never want to go home again.

singlerosa_RIP

Singlerosa's photo (above) frightens me. I thought texting was a bad idea, but this ...? Holy cow. :confused:

I was shooting "from the hip" and we were only going about 60 mph. But my shutter speed was too fast to show motion blur on their car. At least person taking my pic was the passenger in the other Porsche and they had time to set up the shot. If you think that's bad, look at this one from 2004. BTW, I don't text, unless Siri helps me and we know how she can be.

turn7 2.jpg

Elliot87

When you come to New Zealand. "Leave you Guns at Home Son Leave your guns at Home" If you come here for a year you may never want to go home again.

I know that's true, lots of folks seem to go for a year and don't come back. Hadn't really thought what I'd have to do with my guns, probably go to my dad or pay for a gun dealer to store them.

Danino

I think we will all find out in time that the D500 is one of the best camera Nikon ever produced and certainly the best DX. There is no perfect camera and there will never be one but some models become legends in their own right (D700 for instance) and the D500 is going that way.

The complete ensemble would probably be D810 (portrait and landscape) and D500 (sports, action, wildlife, low light & even video) for excellent coverage in where both excel.

That is not to say the D7200 is not a rugged excellent all rounder which I will be sticking to for a long while.

Last edited:

Blacktop

I think we will all find out in time that the D500 is one of the best camera Nikon ever produced and certainly the best DX. There is no perfect camera and there will never be one but some models become legends in their own right (D700 for instance) and the D500 is going that way.

The complete ensemble would probably be D810 (portrait and landscape) and D500 (sports, action, wildlife, low light & even video) for excellent coverage in where both excel.

That is not to say the D7200 is not a rugged excellent all rounder which I will be sticking to for a long while.

Until something new comes along. It always does.

cbay

I have some nice guns I'm barely using that I could sell and raise all the money I need to have me well set up with photography, but I'm loathed to sell them. Maybe one day but for now I can't part with them.

In the same boat here. Rarely use them but just can't do it, even though i could have pretty much anything i would want photography wise it's just something that i can't do. Will admit to imagining what it would get though.