D7200 upgrade to D500

singlerosa_RIP

I see this talking point online a lot lately. What exactly do you mean by it?

A 50mm lens on full frame turns into a 75mm lens on DX.
My Ultra wide 14-24 zoom would be a 21-36 on DX (with 1.5 crop factor). Not very ultra wide on DX.
24-70 = 36-105
70-200 = 105-300 (sometimes that's OK) It's really OK when I put the Nikon 200-500 zoom on my D7200 and get an effective 300-750.
My 85mm portrait lens would be 127mm and I'd have to back up a bit more to shoot portraits
etc., etc.......

DX lenses are designed to work on DX bodies. If I want an ultra wide lens, I buy a Nikon 10-24 or a Tokina 11-16. If I want the standard 2.8 zoom, I buy a Nikon 17-55 (the 24-70 equivalent). I'm sure others can explain it much better than I'm doing, but hopefully you get the point.

Bikerbrent

I have all FX lenses and some would suck on DX compared to a DX lens.

I too wonder which DX lenses would suck on an FX body. I have yet to find an FX lens that sucks on my D7200, and as you can see, I do have a few. The only issue at all is the loss of some wide-angle capability with an FX lens on a DX. For example, my 28-70 f2.6-2.8 lens only has a wide angle view of 42mm (which barely qualifies as wide angle) but I have other lenses that give me an 18mm and up wide angle view. Also, if a FX lens is a little soft at the edges, it will actually work better on a DX.

hrstrat57

OP

The only way you can determine what works for you is to rent and demo a D500 for a weekend, shoot what you like with your glass and make your call.

I love pro controls and find the layout intuitive. With a little work I could get just as comfy with a D7100/7200 D610/D750 layout.

Bottom line they are all damn fine pieces of kit!

If you are really liking the D7200 layout I'd add a D610 or D750 to my bag before I went for a whole different camera layout trading a perfectly liked cam for another for 2x the money......

(another thing to think about, yikes)

salukfan111

A 50mm lens on full frame turns into a 75mm lens on DX.
My Ultra wide 14-24 zoom would be a 21-36 on DX (with 1.5 crop factor). Not very ultra wide on DX.
24-70 = 36-105
70-200 = 105-300 (sometimes that's OK) It's really OK when I put the Nikon 200-500 zoom on my D7200 and get an effective 300-750.
My 85mm portrait lens would be 127mm and I'd have to back up a bit more to shoot portraits
etc., etc.......

DX lenses are designed to work on DX bodies. If I want an ultra wide lens, I buy a Nikon 10-24 or a Tokina 11-16. If I want the standard 2.8 zoom, I buy a Nikon 17-55 (the 24-70 equivalent). I'm sure others can explain it much better than I'm doing, but hopefully you get the point.
OK I misunderstood. I thought you were making the Northrup arguement DX cameras shouldn't use FF lens. I'm not sure what your answer has to do with "some would suck on DX compared to a DX lens" though.

Felisek

The only thing I guess I really liked was the 10 fps. But you need the XQD card to do that and they are expensive.

No, you don't need XQD. I use a 150 MB/s Lexar SD card and it is more than sufficient. I've shot bursts of 30 photos at 10 fps and had no problems. D500 has a huge buffer - it can store a lot of pictures in its own memory. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe an XQD card helps when you want to shoot very long sequences, like over 100 pictures in one burst.

True Felisek you can work with one SD in a D500 but that's not a good idea for commercial work or weddings where two cards are in my opinion essential.

singlerosa_RIP

OK I misunderstood. I thought you were making the Northrup arguement DX cameras shouldn't use FF lens. I'm not sure what your answer has to do with "some would suck on DX compared to a DX lens" though.

If I want ultra wide on DX, I'd buy an ultra wide DX, like Nikon's 10-24, giving me an effective 15-36mm vs buying the FX 14-24 (which I already have) which would yield 21-36mm (not UWA and that sucks). When I had DX only, I bought the Nikon 24-70 and returned it for the 17-55DX because the 24-70 as not wide enough.

salukfan111

If I want ultra wide on DX, I'd buy an ultra wide DX, like Nikon's 10-24, giving me an effective 15-36mm vs buying the FX 14-24 (which I already have) which would yield 21-36mm (not UWA and that sucks). When I had DX only, I bought the Nikon 24-70 and returned it for the 17-55DX because the 24-70 as not wide enough.
What you are describing is ordering a square peg and being upset it doesn't fit in a round hole. That isn't an equipment problem. Sorry if I implied you were a Northrup fan.

Horoscope Fish

No wonder people get pissed off at my test messages. :)
Is this is test? Because you're really starting to piss me off.

Disclaimer: The above post contains humor and is not to be taken literally, internally, or by women who are pregnant or may become pregnant. Action figures sold separately. All models are over 18 years of age. Offer void where prohibited. Allow 4 to 6 weeks for delivery. Store in a cool dry place. Batteries not included. BHT added to preserve freshness.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Thank you all for your input. The faster frame rate is what is attracting me. But the smaller megapixels has me wondering about image quality if I do crop. BackdoorHippie I too do mainly wildlife. Humming birds and backyard animals, deer, squirrels, etc. If I can get a good trade in allowance for my D7200 I may look at upgrading. Do you have an XQD card or the SD.. XQD cards are very pricey and hard to find.. Thanks again for all your help. Keep the comments coming..

Jake, I didn't want his question to get buried with all the opinions that came afterwards. @BackdoorHippie

Danno

Thank you all for your help. I have decided that I will stick with the D7200 for a while. The only thing I guess I really liked was the 10 fps. But you need the XQD card to do that and they are expensive. My D7200 has great IQ so don't think the D500 would improve much on that. And 10 fps isn't worth $1500 more, to me anyway. Thanks again
I can appreciate your. That is kind of where I am. I am enjoying my D7200 as well. I like the 500... but I also like FX. But I am in no rush.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Whiskeyman

Is this is test? Because you're really starting to piss me off.

Disclaimer: The above post contains humor and is not to be taken literally, internally, or by women who are pregnant or may become pregnant. Action figures sold separately. All models are over 18 years of age. Offer void where prohibited. Allow 4 to 6 weeks for delivery. Store in a cool dry place. Batteries not included. BHT added to preserve freshness.

WHAT!!!!::what:: No disclaimer that no animals were harmed in the production of your post. You're despicable!!!!

;) WM

singlerosa_RIP

WHAT!!!!::what:: No disclaimer that no animals were harmed in the production of your post. You're despicable!!!!

;) WM

I shouldn't be allowed in front of a keyboard. I meant to say text messages (now corrected), so I didn't get HF's joke until seeing another of his posts with his usual sig. Anyway, I'm an idiot. Good night.

Bikerbrent

At the risk of starting another war, I just read the D500 test in the latest Popular Photography Magazine. I found the test interesting in that they kept comparing the D500 to the D300s and not one mention of the D7200. So I dug out my old copy of the D7200 test and found the test results quite interesting. Below is a summary:

Pop Photo comparison

(Sorry can't get the program to display the table properly.)

D7200 D500

Image Quality Excellent Excellent

Resolution (ISO 100) 2825 2650

Color Accuracy 6.7 5.3

Highlight/Shadow Detail Very High Extremely High

Contrast High High

Noise
ISO 50 N/A Extremely Low 0.8

ISO 100 Extremely Low 1.0 Extremely Low 0.9

ISO 200 Extremely Low 1.0 Very Low 1.2

ISO 400 Extremely Low 1.1 Low 1.6

ISO 800 Very Low 1.3 Low 1.6

ISO 1600 Low 1.7 Very Low 1.2

ISO 3200 Moderately Low 2.2 Low 1.7

ISO 6400 Moderate 2.7 Moderately Low 2.3

ISO 12800 Moderate 2.7 Unacceptable 3.3

ISO 25600 Unacceptable 4.1 Unacceptable 4.4

These numbers must raise the question, is the D500 really worth twice the price of the D7200? Yes, I know the D500 allegedly has better auto-focusing, but I have heard no complaints about the D7200 focusing. And yes, it has a higher FPS and a much larger buffer, But, this is not really important except for high speed action such as sports. Also it must be remembered that the D7200 has built in flash which is not great for primary flash, but works great for quick snaps and daytime fill flash. In conclusion, for me to trade it my D7200 for a twice the price D500 is NOT in the cards for me either. Nikon is going to have to come up with a much better DX camera to entice me to upgrade.

Leif

I am a recent owner of a D500, but also use a D600 and D200. I was always disappointed by the D600, not because it isn't an amazing camera, but because of the control layout. The D500 takes me back to the nice easy layour of pro bodies, where everything is where it should be. This is perhaps a small point, but it does make it feel better. And the shape is better, the D200 and D500 have deep recesses for my fingers, the D600 doesn't, so it is uncomfortable to hold. Then there are rearely mentioned features of the D500. The eyepiece shutter is so useful if you do remote shooting, as I do. The diopter knob locks in place, and that is useful. The aperture works in live view, so I can open up the lens to focus, then stop it down to check DOF. And it has an electronic shutter, useful for photomicrography i.e. attaching to a microscope. And lastly the articulating LCD is nice, although it only pops out in one orientation and cannot rotate, sadly. Overall the D500 is expensive for me, because I don't need 10FPS or fancy AF, but I am not poor and it is worth it. But I think for many people the D7200 is a steal, it has most essential features - good AF, good FPS, MLU, a beautiful sensor with lots of pixies.