D7200 Outscores D500 in DxOMark test

MaxBlake

If producing quality photos is the be-all/end-all result that we all desire, and if we all agree that spending whatever money is necessary to get the proper equipment in place to produce those quality, memorable photos, as indicated, then why aren't we all using the same cameras and lenses that Ansel Adams used decades ago when he was traipsing around the Yosemite Valley, showing off?

Cameras can take us only so far.

Blacktop

If producing quality photos is the be-all/end-all result that we all desire, and if we all agree that spending whatever money is necessary to get the proper equipment in place to produce those quality, memorable photos, as indicated, then why aren't we all using the same cameras and lenses that Ansel Adams used decades ago when he was traipsing around the Yosemite Valley, showing off?

Cameras can take us only so far.

Because not everyone shoots black and white at Yosemite. Because it takes more than just the highest quality gear to get the highest quality shots.

Most important part is knowing how to use your gear, then it's being where you need to be, then it's light and composition. IMO!

Blacktop

Agreed. That was my point, exactly. Cameras can only take us so far.

Yes, but the cameras Ansel Adams used, wouldn't take me very far with the type of things I shoot. Do you really think that he would be using the same gear now if he was still alive that he used back then?
He used the best gear that was available at the time for what he shot.

Vincent

I`m very disappointed with the reactions here:

1) Nobody seems to state what DXO mark tests, it is sensor performance, they are clear in that.
2) Clearly very few believe the DXO total scores are essential (including me), however it does give scientific data and it is one of the only ways you can compare results.

All the myths that some are creating in lifting the D500 to a revolution of APS-C sensors are broken by this kind of testing, it gives a scientific background. Also read the conclusion of DXO mark, "Performance redefined" a very positive evaluation.

In total, DXO mark gives some scientific background on the sensor perfomance of a camera, where this is insufficient to decide on the purchase of a camera, it is valuable information which counters the fanboys screaming "Nikon is the best, everything that comes out you need to buy".

MaxBlake

Do you really think that he would be using the same gear now if he was still alive that he used back then?

Hard to say, as he's no longer here to ask. But I will say that, given the results he consistently obtained, it wouldn't much matter what he was shooting ... again, my point.

Johan65ZA

Hard to say, as he's no longer here to ask. But I will say that, given the results he consistently obtained, it wouldn't much matter what he was shooting ... again, my point.
LOL. i just got my giggle for the day. Yeah sure he would still be shooting with his old camera. I think chances would have been pretty good that he would be part of the 99% of human race that dayly strive to better technology/themselves no matter how good he already was. Thats why he was a pioneer and a master.

Woodyg3

Contributor
I`m very disappointed with the reactions here:

1) Nobody seems to state what DXO mark tests, it is sensor performance, they are clear in that.
2) Clearly very few believe the DXO total scores are essential (including me), however it does give scientific data and it is one of the only ways you can compare results.

All the myths that some are creating in lifting the D500 to a revolution of APS-C sensors are broken by this kind of testing, it gives a scientific background. Also read the conclusion of DXO mark, "Performance redefined" a very positive evaluation.

In total, DXO mark gives some scientific background on the sensor perfomance of a camera, where this is insufficient to decide on the purchase of a camera, it is valuable information which counters the fanboys screaming "Nikon is the best, everything that comes out you need to buy".

LOL. No, the D500 is certainly not a giant step forward in sensor technology. Anyone who has both the D7200 and D500, I think, will see the same things I am seeing in my picture files. The D500 is a small, but still significant, step forward. Look at numerous file samples online, and I think you'll see what I'm talking about.

Nikon screwed up on compatibility with their older EN EL15 batteries, and provides no help for anyone using 3rd party lenses. There is apparently a problem where this camera can just lock up, and you have to remove the battery to get it going again. It does not seem to work with all UHS-II SD cards. So, yeah, there are problems with this camera. It's not perfect, nor is anything Nikon brings out. Those are justifiable reasons to criticize the camera.

The DXO overall sensor score is not one of them, though. It's a presentation of poorly interpreted test results. Look at the actual graphs and you'll see that the D500 performs better than the D7200 at most ISOs.

Vincent

...The D500 is a small, but still significant, step forward....
The DXO overall sensor score is not one of them, though. It's a presentation of poorly interpreted test results. Look at the actual graphs and you'll see that the D500 performs better than the D7200 at most ISOs.

I could not agree more, there are graphs like this one:
d500 tonal range.PNG
which show that the D7200 is not quite up to the level of the D500 in some domains, the D7200 is good, very good. The D500 has its own strong points and some are remarkable.

MaxBlake

I think chances would have been pretty good that he would be part of the 99% of human race that dayly strive to better technology/themselves no matter how good he already was.

That could well be true. We'll never know. But I can tell you about an old friend who bought his digital camera, a Nikon D70, back in the mid-90s after a long stint with SLRs and film. I saw him recently and asked if he was still using the Nikon. "Of course. Why not?" he replied. "Because a great many advances have been made in the intervening years," I said and told him about my own recent purchase of a D7200. "Don't need one," he said. "It won't help my technique, or my eye ... not a bit."

That's been my point all along. I'm sorry for not being better equipped to express it adequately.

Leif

That could well be true. We'll never know. But I can tell you about an old friend who bought his digital camera, a Nikon D70, back in the mid-90s after a long stint with SLRs and film. I saw him recently and asked if he was still using the Nikon. "Of course. Why not?" he replied. "Because a great many advances have been made in the intervening years," I said and told him about my own recent purchase of a D7200. "Don't need one," he said. "It won't help my technique, or my eye ... not a bit."

That's been my point all along. I'm sorry for not being better equipped to express it adequately.

I had a D70, but my photography is much better with a more recent camera due to better dynamic range and white balance. To deny advances is stubborn. Anyway, he could get better images with a much smaller lighter 4/3 camera.

Danino

The D7200 is a very nice camera indeed and suits most application but the D500 is the top APC size DSLR in the world at the moment as the Fuji XT-2 will be best mirror-less. The thing is that the money you save on the superior body can be invested in better glass for the D7200.....