D7200 or D5 ... or hold pat?

Danno

I know that feeling well enough, and especially now. All I need is some better weather. One rain photo looks pretty much like the next ... and the next.
I set stuff up inside and play with low light when I can't get out.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

MaxBlake

The sun is out today, so I guess I won't have to take a number of shots of the cats in low light, looking longingly out the window, waiting for a bird or a squirrel to wander past. :cool:

Horoscope Fish

Maybe it's just me, but the detail seems to be good and sharp
EXIF shows you were shooting at 140mm at f/5.6 so yeah, that's about what I would expect. The squirrel shot looks a smidge blue to me but that's Nikon for ya.

If you shoot JPG you may want to adjust the Sharpness setting in the Picture Controls. The factory-default Sharpness setting is somewhere around "2", I suggest using "7" instead. Again, this is only if you shoot JPG. If you shoot RAW exclusively, never mind.

MaxBlake

The ground was water-saturated from two straight days of rain, which may account for some of the blue that you are noticing, Mr. Fish. But I don't disagree with the observation and will head back to the manual, without passing Go or collecting $200. Thanks for the observation.

MaxBlake

As an addendum to this discussion -- a heads-up, if you will -- I stumbled on a protective case for the D5500 that allays at least some of my initial concerns about durability. You can find it here:

easyCover camera case for Nikon D5500 | easyCover Camera Accessories

easyCover Silicone Protection Cover for Nikon D5500 EA-ECND5500C

I actually ordered one and slipped it on the other day, then took the camera out for a spin in some rough terrain. While I am delighted with the D7200 and am happy to have it, this contraption does provide an extra layer of insurance on the more fragile body of the 5500 and works well enough, allowing easy access to all of the key points. It may not be the best of all worlds, and it's no miracle worker, but it does provide some added protection.