D7200 faster FPS

Gainzwhey

Hello,
I’m wondering if the D7200 gets faster higher/faster fps if a EN-EL4a battery is used with the vertical grip such as the D700 ?
Thanks.

Clovishound

DPreview lists an increase in FPS on the specs for the D700 when using the battery grip. In their extensive specs list for the D7200 it only lists 6 FPS. This leads me to believe that it doesn't. A call to Nikon CS should give the definitive answer.

DPreview D7200

DPrevie D700

Gainzwhey

Yeah, I’ll try to reach Nikon CS. That tá good idea. In the meantime, has anyone tried this out or tested or have firsthand knowledge of this?

Bikerbrent

Welcome aboard Gainzwhet, enjoy the ride. We look forward to seeing more posts and samples of your work.

You might also want to consider introducing yourself on New Member Introductions.

Fred Kingston

Are you maximizing the frame rates by using the fastest avail cards... I've always found that Frame rate doesn't mean squat in burst modes unless you're using the fastest (writeable) SD/CF cards...as well as the file sizes that have been selected... I've had better results just pulling frames out of a video stream than trying to capture anything in short burst modes...

Gainzwhey

Are you maximizing the frame rates by using the fastest avail cards... I've always found that Frame rate doesn't mean squat in burst modes unless you're using the fastest (writeable) SD/CF cards...as well as the file sizes that have been selected... I've had better results just pulling frames out of a video stream than trying to capture anything in short burst modes...
The speed of SD card makes sense…

Clovishound

I may be old, but it gives a good idea of what the difference in card speeds will do for the D7200. From a quick perusal it looks to me like fps won't be affected by card speed until the internal buffer is full. My Z5 will only shoot at 4.5 fps, but the internal buffer will hold 100 frames regardless of file type or size. The D7200 buffer only holds up to 18 frames of 14-bit lossless compressed NEF. That means that write speed has a much bigger impact on frame rate.

If nothing else, I learned something about camera buffers, write speed, and fps. Looks like I wasted a few bucks on the 200 mb/s card I bought for my Z5, as I'll never fill the buffer on it. As a consolation, I may save some time downloading files from the card to my computer.

Good news is the faster SD cards are pretty cheap these days.

Needa

Challenge Team
Another consideration is the internal write speed of the camera and if you are writing to both cards at the same time.

Gainzwhey

I may be old, but it gives a good idea of what the difference in card speeds will do for the D7200. From a quick perusal it looks to me like fps won't be affected by card speed until the internal buffer is full. My Z5 will only shoot at 4.5 fps, but the internal buffer will hold 100 frames regardless of file type or size. The D7200 buffer only holds up to 18 frames of 14-bit lossless compressed NEF. That means that write speed has a much bigger impact on frame rate.

If nothing else, I learned something about camera buffers, write speed, and fps. Looks like I wasted a few bucks on the 200 mb/s card I bought for my Z5, as I'll never fill the buffer on it. As a consolation, I may save some time downloading files from the card to my computer.

Good news is the faster SD
Yeah, think that there are two things to consider the SD card's writing and reading speeds. If the writing speed of the card is way faster than that of the camera you're just throwing money away? As the article posted by Clovishound, the writing speed in 70Mb/s. So no need for a fancy 260Mb/s of writing speed.

Gainzwhey

All of this has been interesting, but I can't help but wonder if no one has ever tried to see if using the EN-EL4a batteries increases the speed. Because with the D700 is it night and day when using the EN-EL4a battery. The camera is so much more responsive. I bet the D7200 vertical grip probably doesn't even fit the EN-EL4a battery, because admittedly it is an older battery (they discontinued it have they not?). All of this is because I'm looking to purchase a D7200. But thanks so much for the input.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
This is the video that explains using the EN-EL4a battery in a D700 (in case anyone is wondering about how the battery works/fits).

Your best bet would be to call Nikon and ask.

Gainzwhey

Answering my own question here at the beginning, the D7200 vertical grip MB-D15 is not compatible with high capacity rechargeable batteries such as the EN-EL4a or the newer EN-EL18a/b/c/d. For reference, https://www.nikonimgsupport.com/eu/BV_article?articleNo=000006339&configured=1&lang=en_GB

Screen Shot 2023-05-09 at 10.27.49 PM.png