D7100 & wifi

JohnFrench

I have a 7100 as most know, and have been thinking about downloading my SD card wirelessly with the proper Nikon WIFI module. But have just found that it will only download to a Smartphone or tablet, and only certain Smartphones and tablets. I'm disappointed if that is correct, can anyone add to this? I do have an iPad and and iPhone, but really wanted to download to my PC laptop or Google ChromeBook.

Horoscope Fish

I have a 7100 as most know, and have been thinking about downloading my SD card wirelessly with the proper Nikon WIFI module. But have just found that it will only download to a Smartphone or tablet, and only certain Smartphones and tablets. I'm disappointed if that is correct, can anyone add to this? I do have an iPad and and iPhone, but really wanted to download to my PC laptop or Google ChromeBook.
You are correct that the WU-1a is only compatible with iOS and Android devices... I'm not sure what else to tell you on that front. From what little I know of them, meaning the WU-1a adapter, it seems people either swear BY them, or AT them with no clear winner on either side.

I too would suggest looking into the aforementioned Eye-fi cards but be prepared for sticker shock...

Squaredoch

Hi, I recently picked up an Eye-fi card (8gb). It is not the "Mobi" card so I think it must be an old model. The card works fine on my D7100 but it is a bit slow to transfer. Maybe that is because it is because it is the old model... I don't know. I bought it just for a bit of fun (and because it was cheap)
However, it works fine on the iPad and is reasonably easy to set up.
Hope this helps

Patrick M

I use eye-Fi a lot when I'm taking lots of shots in JPEG not raw. Works fine on my home network - both PC windows 7 and Mac Mini - plus both iPhone and iPad. Jpegs, esp small load quite quick. Avoid raw, takes forever

RocketCowboy

John, that was my disappointment with WiFi in the D5300 as well ... same limitations. Since adding the D7100 into the mix, I decided to not spend any time on WiFi options, but the eye-Fi is probably the only real alternative that does what I think most are expecting from this type of connectivity.

JohnFrench

Have you looked at Wifi SD cards?

I have, and was not impressed with the quality for what one receives for the money. And there was an odd download thing that scared me away more that the price and quality, it seemed as though the whole card contents had to be downloaded at once maybe.
I will probably give it a try anyway, maybe things have improved a bit since I last looked a few years ago.
Thank you folks for all the good answers and information.

Last edited: