D7100 "too much" camera to start with?

panthers65

To minimize that confusion I always tell people new to photography that both shutter speed AND aperture numbers are fractions; hence 1/8th (f/8) is a larger slice of the "light pie" than 1/22nd (f/22) is. Obviously, there are differences in that each stop doubles, or halves, the amount of light but using the fractions approach gets them over the Hump of Confusion of big numbers meaning less light. Exactly how *much* light we're talking is a detail that is subordinate to the greater concept of aperture numbers themselves and can be covered later.

Seeing it as a fraction is easy, it's the verbiage that gets me. I know going from a f/2 to a f/10, you are decreasing the aperture, decreasing the amount of light that goes into the camera, and INcreasing DoF, but do you consider this Increasing the F-Stop number or Decreasing it?

​Basically is the F-Stop number just the denominator of the "fraction", or is it the whole fraction?

WayneF

Seeing it as a fraction is easy, it's the verbiage that gets me. I know going from a f/2 to a f/10, you are decreasing the aperture, decreasing the amount of light that goes into the camera, and INcreasing DoF, but do you consider this Increasing the F-Stop number or Decreasing it?

​Basically is the F-Stop number just the denominator of the "fraction", or is it the whole fraction?

Exactly, "increasing" has no meaning until we also say what it means. :) There are a few things like that, image resize, and lighting ratios, etc.

F/stop is the result of focal length / aperture diameter.

Horoscope Fish

To avoid that sort of confusion I don't use those particular words. Instead I would say, "Stop-down to f/11" for instance. Or, conversely, "Stop-up to f/4." In these instances "stop" is short for f-stop, "down" means to use a smaller aperture and "up" means to use a wider aperture.

This manner of speaking seems to be pretty conventional in my experience.

DoF is a *result* of changing aperture, but has no bearing on the verbiage of what you're doing *with* your f-stop; it's a variable you need to understand to achieve your desired outcome.

Last edited:

snaphappy

Panther JMHO but if your wife is interested in photography she should be the one researching and choosing the gear. If my hubby posted this and chose my gear I'd appreciate the thought but I'd conk him over the head anyways!! I can't imagine anyone who's responded to you having a significant other choose their gear for them. I've always gone by the theory that you really only truly appreciate the things you have worked for so when I wanted to learn more than auto on a camera I did the work choosing the camera that worked for me. I came to this site pretty sure I wanted the 5XXX and some lenses because I thought the 7000 too much for me. I went with the 7000 and I have enjoyed every moment learning to use it. If you want to give her a gift that she'll truly appreciate give her a gift card, a class and links to help her choose her own gear. Once she picks the camera, plays with the kit lens and takes a class learning the exposure triangle and composition she will know which gear she would make the most use of. Once she gets involved in the hobby you'll find gift giving very easy as I'm sure there will be many things she'd love to add to her camera bag but she'll let you know what those are :)

Nathan Lanni

Since you're thinking of getting a camera for someone else, it's always difficult to fully anticipate their needs, capabilities, etc.

When I bought my d7100 I assumed my wife would be a able to use it as well in full auto mode. Truth is she really doesn't like it. It's too heavy and complicated for her, plus the biggest thing is she's afraid of breaking it (i.e., throwing $1200 out the window). I realize now maybe one of the new less expensive mirrorless cameras coming out might be right for her.

Everyone on this forum is a photographer, but I tend to agree with those who recommend starting out slow.

1. You have to get a sense of her trepidation factor. Is she a technical sort of person? I was in Best Buy the other day and a young woman with her boyfriend were looking at dslr's. She was the photographer and looking to get started. I made a few suggestions, but clearly her biggest fear was getting started with too much camerea, getting frustrated and then losing interest. I forget which model was on sale but what really caught her eye was either the d3xxx or d5xxx. The big plus was BB was offering it with 2 lenses - I think a zoom and a prime. It was user friendly, cheap to get into and less complicated, and really if money isn't an issue, she could decide without hesitation to upgrade as her skill progressed.

2. Your wife needs to physically pick up the camera and get a sense of using it. If she's fairly technical and very motivated she'll likely fall in love with the d7100, but if she not and the weight is an issue, or cost, or whatever, she can't go wrong with a d3xxx or d5xxx. It needs to be her decision.

3. Look through the galleries of members here, and you'll see that folks are producing fantastic images with any of Nikon's latest offerings. As many will tell you, save a little money on the camera body and invest it in decent lenses.

FWIW

Last edited:

Moab Man

She's gonna be pissed when she learns enough to know the poor way you set her up.

Wow! Captain obvious says, "If someone is in a relationship this shallow with such an ungrateful person then you should be finding the exit."

Snaphappy is right, your lady really needs to be involved. I've done it myself, we guys guys start running with an idea thinking we're doing a good thing and kind of trample over our ladies with good intentions.

Snaphappy - My wife and I agree, you have given the best advice on this thread.

Last edited:

cadomniel

I've only had my D5100 a month and already planning on an 'upgrade'' to the D7100 after spending some time with one for a bit I just prefer the handling of that camera and the additional technical features are a bonus.

WayneF

I've only had my D5100 a month and already planning on an 'upgrade'' to the D7100 after spending some time with one for a bit I just prefer the handling of that camera and the additional technical features are a bonus.

It seems a double edged problem. Buying less and then realizing you can benefit from the more expensive model means you buy two, extra expense. And frankly, that never ends, there is another new one next year. :)

Or if you buy the better one first, and then realize you are not as interested after all, then it is a greater expense without clear benefit.

cadomniel

I think there are advantages to having two camera bodies and at this point I'd take the D5100+ D7100 over one D600 as it would better suit my needs :p

It seems a double edged problem. Buying less and then realizing you can benefit from the more expensive model means you buy two, extra expense. And frankly, that never ends, there is another new one next year. :)

Or if you buy the better one first, and then realize you are not as interested after all, then it is a greater expense without clear benefit.

panthers65

Welp, Camera is on it's way! Wife and I went and picked up the nikon line, and she was set on the 5000 and 7000 series. Had a deal on a 7100 come up that was just TOO good not to jump on.

Plenty of Lens questions to follow.. :)

Horoscope Fish

Welp, Camera is on it's way! Wife and I went and picked up the nikon line, and she was set on the 5000 and 7000 series. Had a deal on a 7100 come up that was just TOO good not to jump on.
I think you'll be glad you did. The '7100 is simply rocking my world. Too much camera for a beginner, my sweet, lily-white patoot. Read the manual, read a third party book and get on with life. If you (or the wife, whomever) don't understand something leave it alone until you do, because seriously... This ain't rocket surgery.

As for lens suggestions I'm going to go ahead and suggest the Nikon 18-105 f/3.5-5.6 ED VR as the lens that about lives on my '7100. Also loving the 85mm f/1.8G and while I don't want to rehash 35mm f/1.8G vs. the 50mm f/1.8G debate, I'm going to by telling you you my vote is for the 35mm. Good luck with whatever you/the wife decide, though!

Jonathan

I started on the D3100 with 18-55 and 55-300. A year or two later and I'm on the D7100 (as at a week ago ) with the 18-300. Loving the combo. Plus, of course, a few other bits and pieces!