D7100 shutter falls but photo not recorded

gustafson

My refurb D7100 has mostly been serving me well, other than the rare freeze-up on photo playback which I have remedied by turning the camera off and back on. However, this past weekend, I ran into a worrisome issue where I took a few photos and felt the mirror slap and the flash fire, but when I clicked on the preview button, the photos were not recorded. The problem seemed to go away after restarting the camera, but I'm wondering if others have encountered this issue and have any idea what might cause it. Thanks in advance!

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
There isn't anything recorded...not even a completely black image? I am having issues in Aperture Priority with my D750, but it records a black image. Is the body able to be returned within a 30-day time frame from when it was purchased or not?

Horoscope Fish

My refurb D7100 has mostly been serving me well, other than the rare freeze-up on photo playback which I have remedied by turning the camera off and back on. However, this past weekend, I ran into a worrisome issue where I took a few photos and felt the mirror slap and the flash fire, but when I clicked on the preview button, the photos were not recorded. The problem seemed to go away after restarting the camera, but I'm wondering if others have encountered this issue and have any idea what might cause it. Thanks in advance!
Just to make sure I understand the problem, let's say you were to reformat the SD card so there were no images on it. If you then took ten shots what would you see on your SD card? We're assuming the issue you are describing occurs at least once during you taking these ten shots.

gustafson

There isn't anything recorded...not even a completely black image? I am having issues in Aperture Priority with my D750, but it records a black image. Is the body able to be returned within a 30-day time frame from when it was purchased or not?

Correct. Nothing recorded, not even a blank image. Fortunately (or not) I have a habit of playing back images frequently, which is why I noticed the issue and tried to remedy it. The camera purchase is well outside the return window. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gustafson

Just to make sure I understand the problem, let's say you were to reformat the SD card so there were no images on it. If you then took ten shots what would you see on your SD card? We're assuming the issue you are describing occurs at least once during you taking these ten shots.

The issue just came up randomly during use, and seems to have gone away (for now) after restarting the camera. However, it was disconcerting to find out that images were not being recorded despite indications (shutter sound and flash firing) that they should be. I will run the test that you suggest to see if it is reproducible and report back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk