D7100 pop-up flash positions

Bike

I just purchased a used D7100 (to replace my dead D90) and noticed that the pop up flash wouldn't work. I noticed it doesn't open all the way. I took a closer look and realized it was only open about 1/3 of it's full opening position and won't flash in that position. When I manually open it more it works. It seems like has two positions. One halfway and the other all the way open. Are they built to have two positions? That's not how the D90 opens. I also noticed one of the screws attached to the metal opening guide has a bit of rust on it which doesn't thrill me. If it's supposed to open up all the way when released I thought I could put a dab of Tri-Flow on the tip of a toothpick and get some lube on the pins that sit in the sliding slot of the hinge to see if that improved things.
I'm going to contact KEH after I think on this a bit and any input will be helpful. The camera seems very clean otherwise. Has 3700 actuations.

Thanks.

BF Hammer

Return it to KEH. That is not how the flash release works. It should raise fully up when released by spring pressure and only needs your intervention to push it down to close.

Bikerbrent

Welcome aboard, enjoy the ride Bike. We look forward to seeing more posts and samples of your work.

You might also want to consider introducing yourself on New Member Introductions.

Needa

Challenge Team
I just purchased a used D7100 (to replace my dead D90) and noticed that the pop up flash wouldn't work. I noticed it doesn't open all the way. I took a closer look and realized it was only open about 1/3 of it's full opening position and won't flash in that position. When I manually open it more it works. It seems like has two positions. One halfway and the other all the way open. Are they built to have two positions? That's not how the D90 opens. I also noticed one of the screws attached to the metal opening guide has a bit of rust on it which doesn't thrill me. If it's supposed to open up all the way when released I thought I could put a dab of Tri-Flow on the tip of a toothpick and get some lube on the pins that sit in the sliding slot of the hinge to see if that improved things.
I'm going to contact KEH after I think on this a bit and any input will be helpful. The camera seems very clean otherwise. Has 3700 actuations.

Thanks.
Before you return it might try holding the camera upside and brushing the hing area and the slides. Be sure to use a soft brush. If no joy send it back.