D7100 focus problems

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Ok this is weird... I rarely use live view, actuall I never use live view. I performed a quick test, far from ideal conditions, right here on my desk shooting at a book. I noticed that the if I use live-view and Autofocus, it works ok (after 10 shots focus is spot on). But if I shoot at the same spot, without live view I'm back to square one with the camera focusing aprox 1 cm to close. I know that live view uses contrast detection and normal shooting uses phase detection, could my problem be with the phase detection system? It's sensors or something like that?

If the focusing ground glass is out of adjustment, how hard is it to fix? I mean, is it routine or mayor surgery? (Assuming that all it needs is an adjustment).

It could be an indication that you need to put in corrections in the focus fine adjustment for that lens. If the focus with live view is OK and the other is not, then corrections should fix it.
The focusing screen correction would be used if when the focus is acquired it would not be in focus in the viewfinder.

But from your description of the situation you are facing, I think that the focus adjustment of the camera can be made. Try this, focus using the auto-focus or the range finder lights. After the focus is acquired, turn the auto focus OFF. then turn on LiveView to see where the focus actually is using the magnifier. Then make a fine focus adjustment and test again. Oh, I forgot to mention that all this HAS to be done on a sturdy tripod.

After finding the right focus adjustment, make certain to save it for that lens.

Keep us informed.

Whiskeyman

Ok this is weird... I rarely use live view, actuall I never use live view. I performed a quick test, far from ideal conditions, right here on my desk shooting at a book. I noticed that the if I use live-view and Autofocus, it works ok (after 10 shots focus is spot on). But if I shoot at the same spot, without live view I'm back to square one with the camera focusing aprox 1 cm to close. I know that live view uses contrast detection and normal shooting uses phase detection, could my problem be with the phase detection system? It's sensors or something like that?

If the focusing ground glass is out of adjustment, how hard is it to fix? I mean, is it routine or mayor surgery? (Assuming that all it needs is an adjustment).

Like you said, Nikon cameras use two different methods for autofocus, dependent upon whether using Liveview focusing or Viewfinder focusing. Liveview autofocus uses contrast-detection autofocus and viewfinder autofocus uses phase-detection.

AF Fine Tune settings are for adjusting phase-detection autofocus, and do not affect/adjust the focus for Liveview.

WM

guillermo_arp

But from your description of the situation you are facing, I think that the focus adjustment of the camera can be made. Try this, focus using the auto-focus or the range finder lights. After the focus is acquired, turn the auto focus OFF. then turn on LiveView to see where the focus actually is using the magnifier. Then make a fine focus adjustment and test again. Oh, I forgot to mention that all this HAS to be done on a sturdy tripod.

After finding the right focus adjustment, make certain to save it for that lens.

Keep us informed.

This is a GREAT idea. But I have a problem: Ai-s lenses. These lenses are manual focus only and do not allow in camera fine-funing. However, when using these lenses and the electronic range finder the front-focus problem remains, focusing 1cm too close.

I've sent my camera to have it checked by an expert. I've also asked them to provide me with a detailed report of everything that they do to it, and if possible, how did they do it.

Trough research I've learned that the adjustments to the focus module are "rather easy"... if you know what you are doing. It's only matter of tightening some screws with a special wrench that can be found at home depot or walmart. I'm not taking any chances anyway.

I'll have a diagnose next Tuesday and I'll let you know how it comes out.

Thanks guys!!!

Whiskeyman

This is a GREAT idea. But I have a problem: Ai-s lenses. These lenses are manual focus only and do not allow in camera fine-funing. However, when using these lenses and the electronic range finder the front-focus problem remains, focusing 1cm too close.

I've sent my camera to have it checked by an expert. I've also asked them to provide me with a detailed report of everything that they do to it, and if possible, how did they do it.

Trough research I've learned that the adjustments to the focus module are "rather easy"... if you know what you are doing. It's only matter of tightening some screws with a special wrench that can be found at home depot or walmart. I'm not taking any chances anyway.

I'll have a diagnose next Tuesday and I'll let you know how it comes out.

Thanks guys!!!

I hope that this gives you a solution and you end up with a camera that is tack-sharp!

WM

byroncheung

Hi, I have a D3 and quite a few lenses. I have been playing with focus adjustment, with the lensAlign etc. There are couple of lenses that cannot be adjusted even I maxed out +/-20 adjustment... I imagine in these cases the lenses / camera has to be sent to technician to be adjusted? Any recommendation on good technicians?

guillermo_arp

Update: So I sent my camera to service. I did not send it to Nikon because last time it was there for a sensor clean up, they gave me the camera with a broken LCD, the clean up was super expensive and it took three months. WORST service ever.
Anyway...

In this other place they are charging me 300 dollars to replace the AF module and something called the BASIS circuit. I believe they misspelled "basic circuit". I'm supposed to have my camera back in 2 weeks. Fingers crossed.

guillermo_arp

UPDATE: My camera is back from service and so far so good. Focus is spot on with my 35mm 1.8 DX. I need to perform further tests but I believe problem is solved. They actually replaced the AF-Sensor. I wonder if Nikon damaged it during the sensor clean up or what... Anyway, I'm happy with my D7100, but If I ever upgrade to Full Frame I WON'T be buying Nikon ever again.

Horoscope Fish

UPDATE: My camera is back from service and so far so good. Focus is spot on with my 35mm 1.8 DX. I need to perform further tests but I believe problem is solved. They actually replaced the AF-Sensor. I wonder if Nikon damaged it during the sensor clean up or what... Anyway, I'm happy with my D7100, but If I ever upgrade to Full Frame I WON'T be buying Nikon ever again.
Glad to hear it sounds like your issue has been resolved!

I love my Nikon cameras but I agree, their customer service can be atrocious.