D7100 and TTL external flash

zaxspeed

Hello everybody!! I am new user of Nikons dslr and little bit unhappy. I got same problem with externel flash on my D7100, but here in Serbia, service still don not have this upgrade to solve this problem. Is there something on net, like this new firmware to instal on camera by my self??
Thanks a lot

gabyte00

No there is nothing public. It's something internal. E-mail to Nikon Europe, they know the problem and they will send the upgrade to Serbia. Don't let go of this, they must repair your camera.

tom3m

Hi Guys, there is more or less new update for D7100 dated 08/25/2014 , does it solve the problem?

At the moment I have the same problem with my D7100 & SB910

Last edited:
I use a third party flash, similar to the SB-900. I had the same thing happen to me, and I know what caused it.

I was shooting group portraits with the camera on a tripod, using the IR remote to fire the pictures and I didn't wait long enough for the flash unit to recover between shots. So, I got one or two that were underexposed. I was too fast on the draw with the remote. My flash unit needs a couple seconds to recover between shots.

Nitram

I have the same problem with my D7100. Something is wrong with the camera. Instead of looking into the issue Nikon keeps saying that the camera is o.k. Are we all that stupid?

spb_stan

Are your using an SB700 or later flash? The problem seems to affect only some people but enough to suggest there is a problem. Are you using the focus assist light? If so, try a series with it on and a series with it off. Some people reported it was less common of a problem when the AF Assist was turned off.
I am moderator of a larger Nikon community forum and recall several people having the same problem using newer flash, those from the SB700 and later but not on older flash such as SB800.
I have a D7000 and D800 and a number of flash units all newer than the SB800 and never saw a problem with flash that was not explained by other factors. I use augmented light very often, even....especially..in the daytime and the D7000 has been very consistent. I don't recall any complaints about flash inconsistency on the D7200 either, that were not explained by other factors.

Nitram

I am using the SB-910 flash with my D7100. I tried the SB-900 and had the same problem.
Both flashes work fine on other camera's. Both flashes work fine on the SB-7000.
I did not yet have the opportunity to try other flashes on my D7100.