D7000 with lower shutter count

Flugelbinder

Does anyone really need slightly better image quality (likely not even evident and especially so on an internet forum) than what the D7000 provides or the 3100 for that matter? I guess the D7100 is going to "magically" make superior images? Really?

I find it hard to believe this logic.

D7000 is way more camera than most folks will ever need.

And you say that because you have taken potos with a 3100 and a 7100? I´ve been shooting for maybe one year and a half (with a 3100), and I feel I already need better IQ. I do print a lot and I really want the best I can get. For all who shoot with a 3100, I´m not saying it´s a bad camera, but it´s not fast, the focus isn´t always dead-on (improved a lot since I got a 28-85 though) and the mediocre low-light sensitivity drives me crazy... Again, I´ve only been doing this for two days, but it´s not enough for me anymore... BTW, I will be trying to get some opinions about an upgrade.

Flugelbinder

All I know is that the 3100 is not enough... I am in doubt about spending $1000 on a 7100 or going low again (my first one didn´t last long) and try a D90...

Bill16

I love my D90, but I honestly can't see it being as good as a D7100. To be honest, I love my D90 for its feel, focus motor,quality construction, and it's more pro design in comparison to the D3100. It's a great camera, but don't expect it to do as well as the D7100 with all of it's new tech.
That being said, a D90 can produce some awesome shots and I love having mine! :D

dmc

And you say that because you have taken potos with a 3100 and a 7100? I´ve been shooting for maybe one year and a half (with a 3100), and I feel I already need better IQ. I do print a lot and I really want the best I can get. For all who shoot with a 3100, I´m not saying it´s a bad camera, but it´s not fast, the focus isn´t always dead-on (improved a lot since I got a 28-85 though) and the mediocre low-light sensitivity drives me crazy... Again, I´ve only been doing this for two days, but it´s not enough for me anymore... BTW, I will be trying to get some opinions about an upgrade.

So I have been shooting both for quite some time. I've also shot the D7100 since it was released. I have been a pixel chaser since the early days of digital and I felt just like you. However, the longer I have been shooting the more I realize that all these extra megapixels do is put more money into Nikon's pocket.

The fact is, for photos on the internet or prints up to 11 X 14" you will be hard pressed to see the difference between 6 Mp and 24 Mp. The real difference will start to be apparent at 16 X 20" and larger. Even given this, technique, exposure, and lens choice will make a greater difference to the results than how many Mp your sensor has.

Try it for yourself. Take an identical shot with your D3100 and your D7100. Use a tripod, the same lens and the same exposure. Then print both at 11 X 14" and show them around to friends and neighbors. See If they can tell you the difference.

Regardless, enjoy your D7100, it is a beautiful camera.

Flugelbinder

Don´t mean to be disrespecful, but I find a bit of an hypocrisy someone with a full-frame, or a profesional body, saying that a 3100 is enough...

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
So I have been shooting both for quite some time. I've also shot the D7100 since it was released. I have been a pixel chaser since the early days of digital and I felt just like you. However, the longer I have been shooting the more I realize that all these extra megapixels do is put more money into Nikon's pocket.

... but do you have a DeLorean?

Don´t mean to be disrespecful, but I find a bit of an hypocrisy someone with a full-frame, or a profesional body, saying that a 3100 is enough...

I agree with you. I have owned and shot both the D3100 and the D7000 and there is a big difference in the bodies. The D7000 is a much better investment. Now past the D7000 I can't say.

Dave_W

The Dude
So, should I go for one? $1000 is a bit too much for me, right now...

Photography is one of the few places in the world that you get what you pay for. What seems like a lot of money now will quickly seem cheap the further into this hobby you go. It all boils down to how much your hobby and your enjoyment of your hobby is worth. Comparing photography to other hobbies like golf, skiing, sky diving, motocross, biking, etc., you'll find that photography is rather inexpensive. And we've all heard the adage "if it's worth doing, it's worth doing right", you quickly come to the conclusion that $1000 or even $5000 isn't really that much when you look at the big picture. Besides, things the bring us happiness like photography is reason we all have (or had) jobs, right?

Last edited: