D7000 or D5300

Moab Man

Ok ShootRaw explain the painted face looking like a mix between KISS and a lion face paint?

Kiss face.jpg

bazz

I would Definitely suggest the D7000. All round great camera that takes Impressive shots. It's got great features and a really solid body with added weather resistance sealant for that extra piece of mind when out in the field. Also the long battery life is always a bonus with more shots per battery change.

Tabashira

well i think one of the main aspects of D5300
is removing the anti-aliasing and increasing Maximum light sensitivity
that will boost the image Quality much higher than any previous camera and you can check sample images

both of D5300 and D7100 or D7000 still uses Contrast Detection for Video Shooting and that Sucks
I don't get If they can do the Phase detection Hyprid system on the Nikon 1 V2 why they didn't do it on the D5300
they Would Nail Canon as Always Canon is better in Videos Because of the Phase Detection

skene

both of D5300 and D7100 or D7000 still uses Contrast Detection for Video Shooting and that Sucks
I don't get If they can do the Phase detection Hyprid system on the Nikon 1 V2 why they didn't do it on the D5300
they Would Nail Canon as Always Canon is better in Videos Because of the Phase Detection

If they put phase detection in a DSLR... who would want to go out and purchase a Nikon 1 camera...?

Well with the choice of a D7XXX vs D5300... It all really depends on what is important to you.
If you have aspirations of becoming a pro photog by any means, then the answer is simple. You go D7XXX... Who wouldn't want to know how the more expensive camera works. The D7000 has most controls that are available at your fingertips which are very similar to most pro body cameras. The D7000 is more of a camera than most prosumers would ever need.
The D5300 would just end up being on the higher step up of a consumer body that takes decent video. The ability to add an external mic and swivel out screen would maybe cut it for you. Maybe the better frame rate if you were planning on taking some slow motion video. But if you're just a pixel counter than maybe the 24.3mp maybe what you want... knowing that you would probably not even need to go that high as you probably would not be printing in large format.

Good luck with what you decide.

RRRoger

We do Event Photography.
I've had a D5100, D7000, D7100, and D5300
I liked the D5100 over the D7000 and D7100 but chose to use the D7100 because of the battery and two card slots.

Now that I have the D5300, I will tell you that the Expeed 4 processor, high resolution monitor, and other tweeks do make a difference.:)
I like the image quality much better on the D5300.
The 1080P 60 Video is very smooth, sharp and the colors are nice.
With a SanDisk 64GB 95s card, I do not need two.
The new battery is much better and the camera is so light you could easily add a two battery grip.

DraganDL

Re: Help!!!! D5300 or D7000???

2 Wheels and Auto focus motor. Not sure about the lens situation, but that might come in handy.

That's exactly why I bought me a D7000 after I already had D5100. AND the non-CPU lenses support (ful matrix, almost all AI/AIS lenses)... Go for D7000.

RRRoger

I have bought at least a couple dozen lens since getting my first DSLR in 1999,
I got rid of all my lens without focus motors because they are too slow even on a D3.
And I've never wanted to get any of those out of date Nikkors that have to be converted just to fit most modern cameras.

If you manually focus, it does not matter what body you use except for other features.
If you use AutoFocus, you want the fastest lens you can get and that is AF-S.
If you use AF-S lens, it does not matter what body you use except for other features.

If you can utilize the brighter, much higher resolution, and pivot of the D5300 monitor that is enough reason to choose it over the D7000.
Same is true of the higher resolution image and images that are better at ISO 12800 compared to the D7000 at 3200.
Same is true if you want 1080P 60 or even better Video at 1080P 24.

GaFFLe

I'm new to photography and chose the D5300. That articulating viewfinder and lower price did it for me. My first real shots were of my Havanese and I found myself using this feature right off the bat because he's so low to the ground. I like the built-in wireless capability too w/o having to keep track of an external device. I'm not a photo-hobbyist like many of you but I understand the desire for more pro-level functions of the 7xxx series.

RRRoger

I have had a D7000, D7100 and now have and prefer the D5300
Maybe based on the same Sensor as the D7100, but not the same.
The High ISO performance in both Stills and Movie mode is about twice as good in low light.
In other words, the D5300 images at 12,800 ISO are better than the ones from the D7100 at 6400 ISO
Also, the 1080 P60 Movies are not just for Slo Motion, but quite a bit better too.

If you also need the features of the D7100, wait for the D7200. It should be out late this Summer.

rwdflynavy

I was trying to decide between 7100 and 5300 and went with the 7100 so I'd have more options for lenses. I'm very happy with my decision.

JH Foto

More options for lenses is as far as can see is the only advantage of the 7100 over the 5300. I know that I am delighted with my 5300 it does everything I need my camera to do.........:)