D610 Focus Question.

grandpaw

I just want to clear one thing up on the adopter. My first post was number 11 when I mentioned about the diopter and checking it. Up to this point the method of focusing was not mentioned except in post number 10 where it said "shot at f2.8 and at about 15ft, also I focused right on the big flower, thanks." It did not say that he had the camera focus on that point. What I posted was a valid point and it was not mentioned until later that AF was being used. If this would have been mention anywhere previous to my posting I would not have written it as a possible answer to the problem. The adopter being out of adjustment would only effect what you see in the viewfinder and not mess up anything in the picture as long as you were using AF.

Last edited:

mguffin

I just want to clear one thing up on the adopter. My first post was number 11 when I mentioned about the diopter and checking it. Up to this point the method of focusing was not mentioned except in post number 10 where it said "shot at f2.8 and at about 15ft, also I focused right on the big flower, thanks." It did not say that he had the camera focus on that point. What I posted was a valid point and it was not mentioned until later that AF was be using. If this would have been mention anywhere pevious to my posting I would not have written it as a possible answer to the problem. The adopter being out of adjustment would only effect what you see in the viewfinder and not mess up anything in the picture as long as you were using AF.

I think there is an assumption, and we all know what happens when you assume, but still, an assumption, that a thread asking for help with a focusing problem, is almost always going to be AF related.

HotGates

I am positive it is the diopter adjustment on the side of the viewfinder. My D600 was doing that right out of the box and I had to adjust it to my eyesight and then BOOM clear shots from then on out!!! Check it, just dial a few times while looking through it and it should get clearer when adjusting!!! I agree with grandpaw!

Thanks
Jeremy V
That's only for manual focusing, in auto focus it does not matter try it.

HotGates

This is going to sound strange, but have you tried turning off AF and taking a photo with each lens using manual focus?

Also, what other camer did you use your lenses on that focused OK?

It seems starange that it out of focus with all your lenses. I my mind it dooes tend to point toward the camera being defect.

Others can chime in - of my two messily lenses - only one has a back focus problem and the other works fine. Has anyone else had to tun their camerra for all their lenses?
This post isn't about manual focusing as I am testing out my auto focus, thanks.

HotGates

What were your focusing settings? Single or multiple focus points.

Seems the flower is very low contrast and the brick wall behind had more contrast. It is written in the user manual (focusing problems) that when there is a pattern behind the main subject, it is possible that the pattern can cause mis-focus.
Just center focus point, AF-S thanks.

Nathan Lanni

This post isn't about manual focusing as I am testing out my auto focus, thanks.

Yes Captain Obvious - for someone asking for help maybe grandpa wasn't far off the mark about you. Maybe you didn't read my previous posts on this thread but I'm the one who made it very clear that's what you were talking about? Maybe you're just a selective reader?

I was a trouble shooter of various types of systems and my first rule was to eliminate the obvious and find something that does work in order to establish a baseline of information that you know for sure, and move forward from there. Sometimes doing the simplest, most obvious thing is what most people ignore.

You know the lenses AF work Ok through Live View, so I assume you are reasonably confident that if you manually focused you camera/lens using the viewfinder the images your camera produced would be in focus?

Good luck with you're problem - don't know why I bothered.

Last edited:

HotGates

Yes Captain Obvious - for someone asking for help maybe grandpa wasn't far off the mark about you. Maybe you didn't read my previous posts on this thread but I'm the one who made it very clear that's what you were talking about? Maybe you're just a selective reader?

I was a trouble shooter of various types of systems and my first rule was to eliminate the obvious and find something that does work in order to establish a baseline of information that you know for sure, and move forward from there. Sometimes doing the simplest, most obvious thing is what most people ignore.

You know the lenses AF work Ok through Live View, so I assume you are reasonably confident that if you manually focused you camera/lens using the viewfinder the images your camera produced would be in focus?

Good luck with you're problem - don't know why I bothered.
Geez I didn't say anything in here to criticize anybody, all i said was I didn't use Manual focus, and yes when I do manual focus I get the same results as I did in live view, what I do think is you and grandpa are reading my replies in a bad way, when I said your kidding right, was just an expression, and with my reply to you I have no idea what you read where I criticized you honestly, thanks anyways.

grandpaw

I think this whole thread would be better served by getting back on track about the focusing problem and forget the rest!!!

HotGates

Today I took my gear outside and did a few more tests, and whether auto focusing in live view or through the viewfinder the images were the same, but inside my home like I posted in my first reply live view was sharper, so maybe at slower shutter speeds live view works better or manual focusing. So I kind of think that nothing is wrong with my auto focus.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I don't think shutter speed has anything to do with the focus situation you described (note I wrote situation, not problem :)).

It think it's more the lack of light and/or contrats in the area you were trying to focus on. I's be curious to see what the camera would do if you were just to add a little bit of light on the flower. Just an extra incandescent light could maybe prove me right.