D600 worse than ever

BackdoorArts

Just about every piece of press about it has talked about it being a new shutter (see Nasim's release here). You won't find it stated specifically on the Nikon site or in any Nikon Press release as it would imply all sorts of things about the D600's shutter that would get spun out of control by folks such as yourself. But to a person, every reviewer has spoken about it being a "new shutter mechanism", which is evidenced by the slight bump in frame rate and the addition of the Continuous Quiet mode, something no other Nikon has to my knowledge.

Nathan Lanni

probably true....BUT how can you say that for sure? Do you have a press release or any document from Nikon saying the mechanism is different?

I think it comes down to how Nikon has been doing damage control. I could be wrong, but I don't think they've admitted there was problem with the d600 shutter. So, if that's true, it follows logically, they can't come out and say the d610 fixed the problems of the d600. I think they're afraid of a stampede of people attempting to get their cameras replaced.

But I've read the new shutter won't fit in the d600 (because people have asked: Why can't I have that one?). This implies at least a modest redesign of the camera body in some respect.

As noted, every manufacture since the beginning has produced a product that was less than expectations. But, Nikon could have done a better job in communication on this issue. I understand Nikon's communications from the top down is somewhat limited anyways.

Last edited:

Mark F

I just received my D600 back from Nikon service for the second time this month.
First, let me say that I have always said I was a lucky one not having any oil and minimal dust issue.
I sent the camera in for a last minute check up before warranty ran out. This was authorized my Nikon.
I had a billing issue... parts charged that didn't get replaced... etc.
When I got it back... the anti aliasing filter was so filthy with smudges and dust, I could see it at 5.6.
Started a conversation and had the camera sent back for yet another cleaning. During this conversation, I questioned Nikons service QC and customer service along with the d600 vs d610. What I received as a conversation was being treated like a kindergardener.
When I received the camera back this time... I noticed they changed the shutter mechanism. I shot back and asked why now? Well... here is the conversation....

"Writing you back in regard to SO#*********** . We did not only do a clean and check on your D600; the shutter mechanism on the camera was also replaced; with the camera we have shipped an invoice that has a summarized listing of what was repaired/replaced on your camera. Please note, that dust is environmental and that this is not an uncommon issue with DSLR cameras. As a camera is not air tight dust particles enter the camera while it is open during lens changing, through the lens itself or can be resident inside the camera. As dust settles and moves during normal operation spots will appear or move over time. This is completely normal and does not indicate any product failure. Nikon cleans and removes all visible dust during normal service. We have shipped your camera UPS 2nd Day Air services"

Then I asked why the shutter was changed this time instead of a couple weeks ago... and she said

"There are no issues with the D600 camera body, when your camera was in for services our technicians determined that the shutter mechanism needed to be replaced and in order for us to return the camera within manufacturer's standards all failing parts must be replaced. However, if you are having issues with your camera related or non-related to this issue you can certainly contacted us through this incident." and then...
"
Some customers have been misinformed with statements that they have seen online. The issue that some customers have experienced with the D600 is dust spots it is not oil spots. While dust may be visible in some photos shot in “normal” conditions in most cases it will not be seen. Of course if you specifically test for dust (or other artifacts) you may see it. If you do experience dust spots in your photos, there are software retouching tools available that may help you achieve the results you desire."

She made me feel like this was all my imagination and let me know that its all internet lies and there is absolutely nothing wrong with the d600 body. I mentioned back that this was not my first body, and if they checked, it was the only body I've actually sent back 3 times to Nikon. To me... this is Nikon BS. I could expect this if I were one constantly sending the camera in for repair... but I have been one that has always said I didn't have the problem. As a matter of fact... I didn't have the problem the first time I sent it in... the shutter mech. failed. Then I didn't have a problem when I sent it in last month. And now... because I got the camera back dirtier than when I sent it in now all of a sudden the shutter is out of manufacturing specs. Hmmm.
We will see what happens... but I will send mine in for repairs at an authorized service center instead of Nikon directly from now on.

Last edited:

rocketman122

I'm sooo tempted to sell all my nikon gear and get 5D mk3 but I much prefer the feel of the nikon rather than canon.. I feel so let down by the Nikon product and their customer care :(

I agree with you 100%. many feel betrayed and let down. nikon gives no apology or acknowledges their faults. SB900/910 and the D600/610 is clearly a slap to the face. these equipment cost a lot of money.

but selling my gear and moving is not a choice for me. I hate canons colors and lack of skin texture in the output. and the menu system is garbage. nikons needs work as well but its quite crap in the canon. it would be a huge loss of money to sell my gear and start new.

I simply decided to never buy new so nikon never gets a cent of my money :D only when they start losing money from their pockets will they try a different tactic. we saw 2 revenue quarters that were bad. and we will also see a third. although a bit better then the last. the 14% stock lost was a huge hit to them. they need to wake up there and change the managerial staff pronto.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I agree with you 100%. many feel betrayed and let down. nikon gives no apology or acknowledges their faults. SB900/910 and the D600/610 is clearly a slap to the face. these equipment cost a lot of money.

I know about the SB900, but what's wrong with its replacement, the SB910?

rocketman122

I know about the SB900, but what's wrong with its replacement, the SB910?

the SB910 was released because the SB900 flash overheats. it got bad publicity and so they quickly released the SB910 thats fixed that issue. the same reason with the D600/610. so people who bought the SB900/D600 are feeling betrayed. instead of getting the replacement model they get the shaft.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
the SB910 was released because the SB900 flash overheats. it got bad publicity and so they quickly released the SB910 thats fixed that issue. the same reason with the D600/610. so people who bought the SB900/D600 are feeling betrayed. instead of getting the replacement model they get the shaft.

Thanks for the explanation.

VectorZ

I too got mine back from the LA service center for the second time just this last Tuesday. They sent it overnight express so that I'd have it for a trip which was great. They have also been good about fixing it, not talking down to me like I'm an idiot. That said, here it is Thursday, I have not changed the lens ONE SINGLE TIME and it already has 20+ spots on it again. This was the second time the shutter was replaced. I'll be calling them tomorrow and see if I can just get a refund like they did for Hark. More to follow.....

hrphotography

I know what went thru Mark F. I have been dealing with Nikon for months now. They have come up with this new idea of saying that the spots we are noticing is dust and is normal. I rarely ever change my lens and still I see dust only after a few hundred exposures. Also most of the time on the upper left corner. Canon makes full frames as well, there has been no spots issue reported for their cameras. Forget Canon D800e, no spot issue there. This is BS to say that it is normal and that we should use retouching tool to remove them.....WTx!

Nikon is not giving a straight answer, which adds to the frustration. If the D600 is perfect with no design flaws, why are they changing the shutter each time? when you ask them that....they would just say some BS about Nikon's manufacturing standards. In fact Nikon has no standards. All their efforts are directed to screw their customers by giving vague, irrelevant answers. Nikon USA needs a major over hauling of their directors, VPs!

This was my last Nikon for sure!

Mark F

I know what went thru Mark F. I have been dealing with Nikon for months now. They have come up with this new idea of saying that the spots we are noticing is dust and is normal. I rarely ever change my lens and still I see dust only after a few hundred exposures. Also most of the time on the upper left corner. Canon makes full frames as well, there has been no spots issue reported for their cameras. Forget Canon D800e, no spot issue there. This is BS to say that it is normal and that we should use retouching tool to remove them.....WTx!

Nikon is not giving a straight answer, which adds to the frustration. If the D600 is perfect with no design flaws, why are they changing the shutter each time? when you ask them that....they would just say some BS about Nikon's manufacturing standards. In fact Nikon has no standards. All their efforts are directed to screw their customers by giving vague, irrelevant answers. Nikon USA needs a major over hauling of their directors, VPs!

This was my last Nikon for sure!

I don't understand why she said to me what she said... but, I made every effort to tell her I wasn't one to raise the mirror every day and loupe the sensor for dust plus the fact that I have a d300s that has never went in to the shop for cleaning. I think its a script that corporate gave them to handle complaints. I doubt she even read any of my responses.
With that... I'm not one to jump ship either as most all manufacturers have similar problems, but I am going to seriously look into the Sony A7 or A7r. I just may switch my kit. After the customer service fiasco, I don't know if I can trust Nikon with my stuff anymore. Sad to say that since I've been a part of the Nikon family for several years now. The d300s was such a joy to use... I should have went the d700 way instead of the d600. The d600 is still a great camera, but my confidence is blown.

Brian

I don't understand what Nikon has to gain from not acknowledging what is clearly a design fault with the camera. I've never read of other models having this many problems.
Myself- I like the looks of the DF, but would not consider buying one until it has been out for a year. Let everyone else find out if Nikon got it right, or if Nikon screwed it up. The confidence that is blown: Nikon's ability to straighten out their own screw-ups and show loyalty to their customers.

Bigfatmole

Finally had a result. Lots of phone calls with a tad of stress I've finally had a result . Got a full refund from Nikon UK . They did offer a brand new D600 but I took the time to politely tell him I would return it by end of the following week with oil spots .. 10 mins later they phoned me back to offer a full refund. As a special result nikon are giving away a 50mm prime with the D610 so happy days..

image.jpg

VectorZ

Finally had a result. Lots of phone calls with a tad of stress I've finally had a result . Got a full refund from Nikon UK . They did offer a brand new D600 but I took the time to politely tell him I would return it by end of the following week with oil spots .. 10 mins later they phoned me back to offer a full refund. As a special result nikon are giving away a 50mm prime with the D610 so happy days..

View attachment 61412

That's great news congrats! Mine is now back at Nikon for the third visit, I too have firmly requested a refund and I will either get the D610 or the D800. Let us know how she performs!

Bigfatmole

Hi VectorZ , I hope you get the result you are fighting for, keep fighting it well worth the effort. I was phoning the customer services manager at least once to two times a day in the last 4 working days leading up to this conclusion. To be fair Nikon UK were quite good once I got talking to the right person. I would like to point out, the only reason I ended up with a full refund was because Nikon didn't check the D600 before sending It back to me, it had a view finder that failed to work. However after 3 times returned I'm pretty sure you have good reason to fight for a refund. Good luck

VectorZ

Hi VectorZ , I hope you get the result you are fighting for, keep fighting it well worth the effort. I was phoning the customer services manager at least once to two times a day in the last 4 working days leading up to this conclusion. To be fair Nikon UK were quite good once I got talking to the right person. I would like to point out, the only reason I ended up with a full refund was because Nikon didn't check the D600 before sending It back to me, it had a view finder that failed to work. However after 3 times returned I'm pretty sure you have good reason to fight for a refund. Good luck

I was notified today that Nikon is in fact sending me a refund for my D600. They said it would take a week or two do get the refund check. I have already ordered a D610 via Amazon. I'm really hopeful that the "new" body will be as flawless as I hoped my D600 would be.

Bigfatmole

Hi VectorZ, that's fantastic news.. Be prepared to send the box and all its contents back also if you haven't already. Nikon would only give a FULL refund once they had received the box of bits. The D610 seems better to me although still not really tested it but will this weekend :)

BackdoorArts

Glad you guys are getting some satisfaction. Almost makes me wonder if I should start stomping my feet as I'm hearing the D610 is terrific.

I'm just kidding - I'm happy with the 600, though I love the minor tweaks they made in the 610. I'll wear this one out first.

VectorZ

Hi VectorZ, that's fantastic news.. Be prepared to send the box and all its contents back also if you haven't already. Nikon would only give a FULL refund once they had received the box of bits. The D610 seems better to me although still not really tested it but will this weekend :)

If they want that stuff back they have not asked for it. They simply said expect a refund check within two weeks. No other caveats.