D600 w/70-200 f2.8 VRII Roller Derby Match

RookieDSLR

I had the priveledge to shoot a roller derby event here in town and it was DIFFICULT to say the least I shot from 4000-8000 ISO throughout the bout and then had to do some extensive noise reductions. The team manager and the owner of the skating rink were very thrilled with the results and I was told they are planning on using the images on the next flyer for the next bout. Here are the shots. Thanks.

Jeremy V

Roller Derby-1.jpg Roller Derby-2.jpg Roller Derby-3.jpg Roller Derby-4.jpg Roller Derby-5.jpgRoller Derby-6.jpg Roller Derby-7.jpg Roller Derby-8.jpg Roller Derby-9.jpg Roller Derby-10.jpgRoller Derby-11.jpg Roller Derby-12.jpg Roller Derby-13.jpg Roller Derby-14.jpg Roller Derby-15.jpgRoller Derby-16.jpg Roller Derby-17.jpg Roller Derby-18.jpg Roller Derby-19.jpg Roller Derby-20.jpg

RookieDSLR

The auto focus was really hit or miss at times, it was very difficult but that fact that I had over 600 shots to choose from really helped me pick the ones that were in focus. As far as all in B&W the colors looked fine I just liked the contrasty black and white versions. I will post a few colors to show you how they came out. This had to be one of the most difficult assignments I have had ever but was well worth it. Thanks!

Jeremy V

Capitol City Crushers-53.jpgCapitol City Crushers-54.jpgCapitol City Crushers-74.jpgCapitol City Crushers-76.jpgCapitol City Crushers-99.jpgCapitol City Crushers-107.jpgCapitol City Crushers-109.jpgCapitol City Crushers-122.jpgCapitol City Crushers-124.jpg

DSS

What settings were you using during this shoot? What was the f/stop and shutter speed? Did you have VR turned on? What AF mode and how many AF points? Have you ever tried the AF-On or "back button" focusing technique? Just curious. I've been shooting low light and wildlife using AF-C 9 point or single point (mainly center focus point) with AF-On and my success rate has gone up. Wouldn't go back to shooting any other way when it comes to action in good or low light. Looks like these shots turned out pretty good, but if you're only satisfied with a few out of that batch and you've never tried shooting with AF-On, I'd recommend it.