D500 RAW Editing

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Okay, I'm not sure what the problem is but here's what I'm finding...

Your .nef files will not open using Adobe Bridge, Adobe Camera Raw or Photoshop CC. They WILL open using IRFanview, a free image editing app I use a lot.

This has me stumped. The photos look fine in IRFanview but nothing else I have on my work computer will open them. The only thing I can think of is that the file headers are corrupt... But in all honesty, this is getting over my head. I don't really know what the problem is.

EDIT...
The only thing I can think of to try would be using different memory cards. I'm grasping at straws here but maybe the cards are corrupting the files somehow. I really don't know and in all honesty that suggestion is nothing more than a shot in the dark...

And make certain you format the card with the D500.

Horoscope Fish

I tried to open one file and it just wouldn't. I have the latest versions of PS CC and Nikon Capture DX and nothing to show.

I wonder what could cause this.

Can you use jpeg files? What does the exif from the jpegs say?

Could the files be locked in camera???
I can open the files using IRFanview which also lets me review the EXIF data... It appears normal. Nothing in the data that raises an eyebrow.

80Gritt

I tried to open one file and it just wouldn't. I have the latest versions of PS CC and Nikon Capture DX and nothing to show.

I wonder what could cause this.

Can you use jpeg files? What does the exif from the jpegs say?

Could the files be locked in camera???

My JPEGS are fine. I use the XQD card for raw and the SD card for JPEG.

Can they be locked with a setting in the camera?

80Gritt

Okay, I'm not sure what the problem is but here's what I'm finding...

Your .nef files will not open using Adobe Bridge, Adobe Camera Raw or Photoshop CC. They WILL open using IRFanview, a free image editing app I use a lot.

This has me stumped. The photos look fine in IRFanview but nothing else I have on my work computer will open them. The only thing I can think of is that the file headers are corrupt... But in all honesty, this is getting over my head. I don't really know what the problem is.

EDIT...
The only thing I can think of to try would be using different memory cards. I'm grasping at straws here but maybe the cards are corrupting the files somehow. I really don't know and in all honesty that suggestion is nothing more than a shot in the dark...

FYI I can view the NEFs in Capture NX D it just will not let me edit them.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
My JPEGS are fine. I use the XQD card for raw and the SD card for JPEG.

Can they be locked with a setting in the camera?
I don't know but what if they could...

Could you try to switch the card function just for fun... Maybe the nefs would work on the SD card which would give you a strong hint about the problem.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Are your files copied to the computer before you open them or are you trying to open and edit them with Capture from the camera's-computer connection?

80Gritt

I don't know but what if they could...

Could you try to switch the card function just for fun... Maybe the nefs would work on the SD card which would give you a strong hint about the problem.

I just removed the XQD card and saved the NEF and JPEG to the SD card. I can now use Capture NX D to edit the raw files. So, I put the XQD card back in and changed it back to XQD primary and SD secondary with primary getting the NEF and SD getting the JPEG as I had it before. I took a couple new pictures with this same setup as I took the others and now I can edit the raw that were captured to my XQD card. Maybe reseating the card did it. Not sure but it is not the first time I inserted and removed the XQD card so do not sure how reseating it worked.

I will have to keep an eye on it. It could be my XQD (it is brand new) card or the camera's slot if it does it again.

I know you guys thought I was crazy so I am glad you saw what I did when you downloaded my raw files

Thank you for your assistance. I doubt I would have tried to capture on the SD card to rule out the XQD card or slot on my own.

80Gritt

Are your files copied to the computer before you open them or are you trying to open and edit them with Capture from the camera's-computer connection?

I always save them with the Nikon software to two portable drives. but as you can read in an earlier post, once I got it to work on the SD card I saved them to my computer hard drive and could edit them. I then moved them to my portable drive and they still were good. Figured that would rule out a problem with my portables,

BackdoorArts

Files are gone so I can't take a look, but can you check what firmware level you're on? How many clicks are on the camera? It's a theory based on nothing, but I'm wondering if a firmware update didn't apply correctly, or perhaps prior to sending it to you someone tried to install a firmware hack that has somehow compromised the raw file?

If someone can stick the files back up somewhere I'd be happy to take a look.

BackdoorArts

Ooops, didn't read to the bottom. Glad it's working for you. Not sure what XQD card you're using but I know that the camera was having issues with Lexar cards.