D500 Low-Battery Autofocus Issue

Woodyg3

Contributor
I've not had the battery/auto-focus issue on my D500. I did need to clean my contacts once, though, and it happened when we were having a very rare few days of 80-90% humidity. Probably coincidence, but I thought I'd mention it.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I don't have a D500 so can't give you any firsthand advice; however, when I went to clean the sensor on my former D600, I couldn't get the mirror to lock up. The battery was almost at 50%. I even asked on here about it. Then when looking through the camera manual, I read where there needs to be at least a 50% battery charge, or it won't lock up.

My guess is the D500 uses more RAM than lesser powerful Nikon bodies. And the discrepancy between your battery having 5% vs lokatz's 1% might have more to do with differences in settings between your camera body and his/hers. My guess is some settings may require more RAM than others--size of your RAW files, whether you're in manual mode, aperture, or shutter priority, etc might play into how much usable power is really available.

Whiskeyman

Soooo, I was out on Friday evening and the same thing happened again, with a battery at 90% plus power, with slightly better weather conditions. Flabbergasted, I took a timeout and started going through menus and found the Autofocus was turned off.... Why it was turned off? I've got no clue. How it worked immediately after I put in a new battery, but then didn't when I was back outside and with the 70-200 AF-S G VR II is just beyond me. More head scratching being done here. Maybe I'm further along the path to total craziness than I believe I am. :p

And no, I wasn't living up to my name at the time that it happened!!

WM