D3500 vs Z6ii

blackstar

Tried to make a shot for the weekly challenge (decided not good enough to enter). First I used D3500 and then thought about the new z6ii just for comparison. Here are the results from a similar setting with the low-end DSLR and the mirrorless (except iso). How do you judge the performance of the two?

2022-10-10_13-22-54s.jpg

2022-10-10_13-48-04s.jpg

blackstar

I'd say they're equal from here... The Z6 is brighter, but the aperture and ISO difference probably accounts for that...

Thanks for the comment. Actually, the aperture difference affects oppositely to the brightness against the iso difference in this case. The brighter image from z is solely due to the large difference in ISO (the set larger f number in z only made the image dimmer if no larger iso).

Clovishound

I would think you would see a small difference if you enlarge them to the largest image before it begins to break down. I notice an edge between my D3400 and Z5. With the compressed, downsized images uploaded to the forum, I seriously doubt you could tell any difference if all other things are equal.

Needa

Challenge Team
Tried to make a shot for the weekly challenge (decided not good enough to enter). First I used D3500 and then thought about the new z6ii just for comparison. Here are the results from a similar setting with the low-end DSLR and the mirrorless (except iso). How do you judge the performance of the two?

View attachment 381255

View attachment 381256

I would say the second image is the better. The second image is not only lighter it has more depth of field, the the rim of the basket is in better focus and not just rope like area. The image has potential try adding lighting from above and to the right with light source out toward the camera to get more depth in the pine cone. You probable realize this but level would help.

Fred Kingston

Let me re-state my previous post.

There's an obvious difference in exposure.

There are large differences between the aperture settings, and the ISO...

If you are trying to test to see the difference between the two "bodies", here is what I would do...

Use a tripod and measure the distance between the front edge of the lens and a specific point on the subject... That should eliminate any disparity in focus distances... Then I would set the ISO and aperture on both cameras to the same exact settings...

Other than something being "different" what specifically are you looking for to be different???? Focus???? Dynamic range??????

One would NOT necessarily be "better" than the other... They would just be different... I would expect to see slight differences in focus and color rendition just because you're using two different lenses...

I would NOT expect to see much difference in comparing ISO between the same values on two different cameras simply because THAT'S what ISO is all about... Any difference will be between the range and how much noise starts to get introduced at higher values...but certainly NOT exposure...

Without knowing which specific lens you used on either camera makes it a crapshoot... You might be using an older designed kit lens on the D3500 and trying to compare that to a better quality (not kit) lens on the Z6... <--THIS in and of itself opens the discussion between "better" versus "different"...

Sorry I gave you the short answer on my first post... I apologize...

Peter7100

I think sometimes it is too easy to get caught up in the thoughts of which image is better between two cameras. I think it is better to think of different cameras in terms of what each one allows you to do and achieve which the other one can't do (eg. better low light performance, better tracking, higher iso, more frames per second, lighter to carry/hide etc). From that perspective I would have thought your Z6ii has many more features that you may be able to take advantage from.
Interestingly the best amateur photographer I have ever come across uses a cheap crop sensor Canon camera and a basic lens. In addition he is colour blind, but his ability to capture stunning compositions and stunning light is amazing. I have seen so many people asking him what equipment he uses and they are obviously wrongly thinking he has the best you can buy. So I would say don't get too hung up on comparsion shots and see what you can get out of each camera.

blackstar

I would say the second image is the better. The second image is not only lighter it has more depth of field, the the rim of the basket is in better focus and not just rope like area. The image has potential try adding lighting from above and to the right with light source out toward the camera to get more depth in the pine cone. You probable realize this but level would help.

Thanks. I have exactly the same thought like you.

blackstar

@FredKingston, Thank you for the insightful comment about "better" and "different". I guess even give a completely equivalent setup for two cameras with a same object to shoot, even with same lens, it still misses out various conditions and applications, as @Peter7100 pointed out, to compare both cameras' performance (image quality included). So my little experiment ran short of credibility for the purpose after all. Pardon me. (but I have learned lot from all your comments including Needa's experienced observations and useful tips) Thank you everyone.