D3300 Picture quality not satisfied.

Horoscope Fish

Downloading now... Give me a few to look them over.

Edit: Your first file downloaded just fine... The second one has the following name: KR2014TableACombined.pdf and appears to be a calendar of some sort, not a RAW file.

New Edit: Here's my version of your in-camera sharpened original. I imported the RAW file into Photoshop via Adobe Camera RAW and adjusted the exposure, vibrance and saturation a bit. ACR automatically adds a small amount of sharpening but not much and I left that setting at its default. I did not alter the white balance or correct the color.

The image was then resized to 100% and a random 5:7 crop was made. That crop was then resized to 1000 pixels on the long edge and saved as a JPG. This is the result:
With Sharpening - Cropped Version.jpg

My personal opinion is that this shot is fine as far as sharpening goes, it certainly doesn't appear OVER sharpened to me. I think the shot would benefit from some real post processing but the sharpness, to me, does not appear to be a problem at all.

Last edited:

Lalam

Edit: Your first file downloaded just fine... The second one has the following name: KR2014TableACombined.pdf and appears to be a calendar of some sort, not a RAW file.
It was wrongly attached. Now edited the post and attached another image . Can you see difference in the skies in both? On my pc sky in the original of the one you edited looks over sharpened. Thanks for the reply.

Last edited:

Horoscope Fish

It was wrongly attached. Now edited the post and attached another image . Can you see difference in the skies in both? On my pc sky in the original of the one you edited looks over sharpened. Thanks for the reply.
Well I've looked them over and they simply don't look over-sharpened to me; but, that being said, if they look over-sharpened to YOU, then I'd say that's what matters.

Scott Murray

I understand that, I'm curious if the raw files in raw+jpeg are different than just shooting raw.

I like the capture program, and I've been playing with raw therapee as well.

The RAW files will be the same either way. Shooting RAW + JPG just means you'll have two copies of each shot; one will have been processed by your camera (JPG) one wlll require that you process it (RAW).
Sorry been away camping, thanks Paul for clarifying that.