D3200 zoom lens options for 300mm+

desmobob

This situation is probably one of the times that I think it's a legitimate recommendation for you to upgrade your camera body. You don't have to spend a lot, especially if you consider buying a used body from a reliable dealer.

I know a zoom is really handy for subjects that will be at varying distances but holy smokes, that AF Nikkor 300mm f/4 is a stellar performer and it works well with converters, too. I have the old D version and it might be too slow focusing for air show use.

Roscoe Primrose

This situation is probably one of the times that I think it's a legitimate recommendation for you to upgrade your camera body. You don't have to spend a lot, especially if you consider buying a used body from a reliable dealer.

I know a zoom is really handy for subjects that will be at varying distances but holy smokes, that AF Nikkor 300mm f/4 is a stellar performer and it works well with converters, too. I have the old D version and it might be too slow focusing for air show use.

For shooting airshows, the lack of VR in the AF-S 300mm f/4 could be a real liability.... But, yeah, it's optically better than any zoom the OP (or I) can afford...

Roscoe

Fred Kingston

The D610 is an excellent entry-level full frame camera that will last you many years. As mentioned, moving to full frame is a serious consideration...but I've rarely heard folks that made the transition complain that they shouldn't have, except for the expense...

Cropping/resolution is a non-issue today... There are several software programs now that totally eliminate any concerns about resolution...

Quality lenses/glass never goes out of fashion or becomes obsolete... and should be your goal... camera bodies do... Right now, the limiting factor in this discussion is the ability of the D3200 body to utilize the features of any quality lenses...

Roscoe Primrose

Right now, the limiting factor in this discussion is the ability of the D3200 body to utilize the features of any quality lenses...

The only quality lenses the D3200 isn't capable of using all the features (although, I'm not 100% certain it'll understand the focus lock buttons on those lenses that have them) of are the AF-P lenses and the older screw-drive lenses. The only AF-P lenses that make any sense at all for the OP's use case are either the full frame or DX 70-300, which may have better optical quality than the Tamron he has now, but doesn't get him any more length... The ONLY advantages for the OP's use case to a new body are a probably increase in the ability of the AF system to track moving subjects, and, if he moves up the chain to at least a D7000 series camera at the same time he goes newer, the ability to do AF fine tuning.

Roscoe

Last edited:

robstopper

thanks for the advice. but i'm even more confused by it all now, every opinion seems to differ!

With my sensible head on, I can't justify the outlay on further equipment which may or may not actually get me better results, so for the moment I'm going to persevere with my current kit, and try to get better at using that.

BF Hammer

Really that plan to try out the Tamron lens at store is very sensible. See if it may be the right thing for you. It is way too easy for us sit at our computers and spend your money.

Switching to full frame can be nearly as financially intimidating as changing to a different brand system. If you are heavily invested in DX lenses you sort of need to consider the process of upgrading to FX lenses. The bigger picture view may be to shop for your lens with an eye toward how it would function with future camera body upgrade and not just what would work today.

robstopper

Well, my current plan is to have a test session tomorrow, then see how I feel about upgrading later this year.

I'm popping over to Duxford Imperial War Museum tomorrow, where Aerial Collective should be flying at least one of their Spitfires and a Hurricane, so I'll do my best to get those one or two "good" shots we all need to make a day worthwhile. Then, if I'm still not feeling it, I've got another Flying Day booked there in May, after that I've got a month or so before the Royal International Air Tattoo and another Duxford Flying Day, to maybe work out what, if anything, I want to upgrade.

Wex have plenty of lenses in stock, so I have time to pop up there and have a play with new gear.

Roscoe Primrose

Waiting is probably the wisest course, gives you the chance to know more before making the decision...

Have you done any testing at the same focal length & distance with static subjects and a tripod? It's possible that when shooting aircraft in flight the loss of sharpness you're seeing is due to AF problems with the D3200 not being able to track the motion fast enough. If it still
does seem to lose quality at lengths much over 200-250mm.
then you need to look at a lens upgrade. If you can get acceptable quality with static subjects, then it's probably AF errors with the fast moving aircraft... If you're going to do this kind of test, remember to turn lens VR (if equipped) off when on the tripod.

Roscoe

desmobob

With my sensible head on, I can't justify the outlay on further equipment which may or may not actually get me better results, so for the moment I'm going to persevere with my current kit, and try to get better at using that.

That's the kind of good sense I wish I had a lot of!

Enjoy the hobby in good health and have fun.

robstopper

I had a pretty good day at Duxford yesterday. At the moment, I'm quite glad I haven't yet spent nearly £600 on a new lens! DSC_0858.jpgDSC_0547.jpgDSC_0838.jpg

Even this shot of the BBMF Dakota, taken on completely the wrong shutter speed (it took me by surprise when I'd been taking shots of the Sptifire with a very low shutter speed to get a complete prop disc!) kind of came out almost acceptably.

DSC_0763.jpg