D3100 into a D3200 or Should I?

1/800-1/2500 at ISO 100 or 200 you must be in some very bright light. Have you adjusted the sharpening on the camera? Under menu>>Shooting Menu>>Set Picture Control>>(Your choice But we will assume Standard for now)>>Click on right arrow around OK Button. There you will see Sharpening. Move it up to 9 and see if it looks any better. I had to do that with my 3100 and it looked much better after that.

topgunwghs

Yes it was direct sunlight using- (Single-servo AF) (Single Point AF) (Center-weighted metering) I just switched up to 9 sharpening and taking some photos now. Low indoor light though...

Yes it was direct sunlight using- (Single-servo AF) (Single Point AF) (Center-weighted metering) I just switched up to 9 sharpening and taking some photos now. Low indoor light though...

Nikon really hid those controls away. If you don't shoot raw or do a lot of PP then these controls are really great. I was about ready to throw my D3100 away before I found these. I use them on My D5100 and it really helps there also. The D5100 blows me away with its sharpness.I think I posted a elephant shot there in the last few days. I printed the full frame shot on a 13X19 here at home and you could see the hairs sticking down from his belly against the rock wall behind him.

topgunwghs

That sounds quite amazing and what I would like to get. I am looking for the best birding setup a (not so rich) student can buy. Also one that can handle massive white balance ratios like snow-capped mountains with a snow storm coming in and color definition while picking up all the evergreens. This it does quite well...
DSC_0652.jpg

I am still returning the lens though, and will be looking into GOOD long glass, suggestions? Is it a rule of thumb to have the lowest and highest focal number on a lens closer to each other, in order to get best detail at full "zoom?" Ie: 200-500mm > 50-500mm?

That seems to be the case with this 18-300mm < 55-300mm. Which is extremely disappointing not only does it cost 2x as much but it weighs alot, feels great and has lightning fast AF-S.

topgunwghs

Quite possibly I received a bad lens? I am looking on Flickr with the D3100+18-300mm AF-S lens that I have when shooting birds and people are getting outstanding results... When I was shooting and looking through the viewfinder, I noticed how fast the AF-S worked on finding the subject, but no real sharpening difference happened when the shutter was pressed half way...

topgunwghs

I started with AF, because it works perfectly on the 55-300mm without me having to adjust it. Then I noticed it wouldn't focus on anything, so I then manually tried to dial what I was looking at it and it wouldn't get any clearer, sad for such an expensive lens.

NFA Fabrication

I started with AF, because it works perfectly on the 55-300mm without me having to adjust it. Then I noticed it wouldn't focus on anything, so I then manually tried to dial what I was looking at it and it wouldn't get any clearer, sad for such an expensive lens.

Still sounds like an issue with what I mentioned in my above post.