"correct" exposure

Bunsen Honeydew

Another thing to keep in mind is that, although it is usually preferable to get the correct exposure at time of shooting, if you are shooting in RAW instead of jpeg, you have a lot more leeway to correct the exposure in post processing. When you review the shot on the camera back, it may look correct to you, however once you see it on your computer, you may wish to change it, that's where RAW format really helps you.
Exposure is a personal thing, we don't all have the same idea of which is correct for any given scene.

J-see

I think I figured out how to expose best in terms of quality but if wrong, feel free to correct me.

We ETTR to improve the quality of our shot and there are basically two methods to push it to the right.

We can either allow more light in by opening up the lens/slowing down the shutter or we can increase the ISO.

In terms of quality it is always best to use the lowest ISO possible and maximize our light intake by selecting the widest aperture possible at the slowest shutter speed possible. Only after we can't change aperture or shutter because some minimum is required for that specific shot, we should increase ISO.

For myself I discovered I shoot too often at settings limiting my light intake and too quickly increase ISO when not yet needed.

Last edited:

ferg007

Loads of good info in this thread I always shoot raw and notch the exposure up or down in the Capture software before converting as I'm usually out a bit based on using the camera recommendation. just as a small aside, has anyone used those Gary Fong grey or white cup things to do a custom white balance?

Ferg
Nikon D5300