Confused about telephoto choice

Fortkentdad

When out birding there are times I'm glad I have a zoom as sometimes the bird ain't that far away. I'd guess that the majority of the time (80%+) I shoot at the full 500 ,,, or 700 if using the T.C. ... or 1050 if on my D7100 and with the TC, in any case, get the max reach to bring that birdie closer... but it is not all that uncommon to see a bird on a post just 10 feet away - and sometimes you want to get the post too.

bird on wire.jpg

I copied this image from my FB as I don't have the original file at the moment - but this was probably not shot at 500mm as I was about three posts back of this bird. Sometimes you want the whole flock too. (checked the EXIF - says 700mm - with a lens with max of 1050, so it was on my D7100 with Kenko 1.4 T.C. so lens set to 335mm)

You could go to the Birds or Birds in Flight forum page here and just scan it with an eye to the focal length and lenses used to get an idea of what people are doing.

As for carrying it, I have a "Speed Carry" heavy duty strap that I connect to the lens not the camera. You do want something strong enough and comfortable, expect to spend more than $19.99 for a good one. Speed Carry ran into some sort of copyright issue and isn't available in the USA I understand - and while it is good if you can get one I'd not recommend it as additional plates are hard to come by. There are others, buy one you can try one with the lens to get the feel for it.

Last edited:

Vincent

My conclusion seems to be that most are confused about the telephoto choise.

My budget beeing different, I`m currently at (above 200mm):

70-300 f4-5.6 that is a "bad version", but it is super cheap, light and flexible. (have a similar 100-300 on Sony)
300mm f4 PF light, super quality and fast, but less flexible
Sigma 500mm f4.5 cheaper and more portable then the big one, but a little issue on the AF (always in the car)
AF-S 600mm f4 expensive and heavy, but a reach and quality beyond the rest

So there are different factors to consider: money, weight, flexibility and reach.
Working with mono/tri-pods and heads (gimbal, geared, video) is an extra constraint and cost.

I thus believe that currently a 300mm AF-D with TCs is a more useful solution. The Tamron 150-600 first version is coming close these days.

The goal is if you are confronted with your subject you get your shot:
20170510-VFA_4532.jpg