competition idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I say NO and NO again. As much as I can understand the idea behind this win a prize with your photo thing, I certainly wouldn't want to have to be in charge. There are way too many things to consider:

Who would collect the money? Who would decide what to give? Who would select the winner? What if the winner is in Europe or another country, how would the prize be sent?

Plus there might be laws involved and this means lawyers and this means TROUBLE...

I'll pass and I would not be paying to get my pictures in any contest.

mikew_RIP

We actually have something like that in place. If you look to the left under my profile at the bottom "Awards", there are two ribbons for Monthly challenge wins.

Thats not implemented any more,i have a few final places but no ribbons,i ask Jdeg about it and got no reply.

thequeenscheese

I say NO and NO again. As much as I can understand the idea behind this win a prize with your photo thing, I certainly wouldn't want to have to be in charge. There are way too many things to consider:

Who would collect the money? Who would decide what to give? Who would select the winner? What if the winner is in Europe or another country, how would the prize be sent?

Plus there might be laws involved and this means lawyers and this means TROUBLE...

laws maybe but theres nothing can be done about that, is a competition gambling? - no idea myself but im sure there could be laws on competitions spose that will depend where the site is registered and run from, as for collecting cash etc quite a newbie but id chip in where i could to the level of my abilities, but surely the chap who takes the advertising money could work something and or get the web admin side to create something ie you pays your $1/£1 /50p/50c etc to paypal that then sends you a link you can upload a picture to?, bit of work involved for someone of course.

all other contests have a hi entry fee and lots of pro's or are free for marketing purposes by that particular site, this would be a bit of friendly rivalry with a reward at the end, and the only funding would have to be member funded..

Pretzel

We actually have something like that in place. If you look to the left under my profile at the bottom "Awards", there are two ribbons for Monthly challenge wins.

Not sure those have been rewarded for a while, as I have a couple of those under my belt but no ribbons. No hurt feelings here, though. ;)

mikew_RIP

Not sure those have been rewarded for a while, as I have a couple of those under my belt but no ribbons. No hurt feelings here, though. ;)

I did contact Marcel and he passed it up to jdeg but i never heard from jdeg,contacted him myself but still never got a reply so i guess the system got lost in one of the upgrades.

Horoscope Fish

Could NOT agree more for all these reasons... And about a hundred more I could rattle off. In a nutshell, it's too much hassle and too little reward.

The idea of some kind of monetary incentive would change everything; make it dime, make it a hundred dollars and the result would be the same. In my opinion, Nikonites just isn't "that sort of place". We have our weekly and monthly challenges, which are fun and good-natured, and I think that's where it needs to begin and end.

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
The monthly challenges have changed quite a bit over the past year and probably a bunch more in the past few years. It's not really conducive the way it is being handled now for an award other than being mentioned as the top finisher, etc. It is a place to provide to those who want to participate a bit more of a twist to their photography. I look at it as something like a school assignment forcing me to think outside the box (hopefully developing my photography skills). Really one can hope, can't they? Ha!

Blacktop

Here as well. Someone owes me 4 ribbons, and they're better not be the pink ones! (just sayin'):heart-borken:

SteveH

@thequeenscheese - I'll second what @Scott Murray said... Sites such as Viewbug are geared up for exactly this sort of competition, where you can win anything from a free print of your shots, to a Leica. I have an account on ViewBug I like to dip in and out of every once in a while.

thequeenscheese

view bug is quite a big concern I just thought nikonites would be a nicer smaller collection of peeps with a better chance a winning something and maybe making a charity something along the way could even give all the money to winner choice if they wish, I'm very surprised the negative attitude towards the idea tbh, I bet if I were to offer a £10 prize to a winner in a thread I started over a month where I'd decide the winner most people would reply with a picture there..

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
view bug is quite a big concern I just thought nikonites would be a nicer smaller collection of peeps with a better chance a winning something and maybe making a charity something along the way could even give all the money to winner choice if they wish, I'm very surprised the negative attitude towards the idea tbh, I bet if I were to offer a £10 prize to a winner in a thread I started over a month where I'd decide the winner most people would reply with a picture there..
But then ask people who want a chance to win to first send you £2 before they send the picture and you will see how many will send you money. For me, photography is a hobby and I'm simply not interested in trying to win money participating into contests. But it might be just me...

Horoscope Fish

A Dead Horse

dead-horse.gif

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
It's fun! It's fun! It's fun! That is what I want my photography hobby to be. I think each of us should take it as far as we want, but not be pressured (not that I think this idea is pressuring to any). Different strokes for different folks. The challenges/competitions are for voluntary participation. Some enjoy them and some could care less. That's OK. Yes, I would like to see more participation, but this may not be for all. The way they are set up on this site with the structure we have, lets those who want to participate do so in a relaxed way. Personally, I don't get into all of them because I don't always find that photo op that I would really like to use for that week or month. I do enjoy visualizing what I could do for each challenge. If I can get it to come together, good; if not, that's the way it goes.

The prize aspect just adds to someone (challenge team, mods whoever) the headaches of managing the income/outflow of money, etc. Did I say HEADACHES? Logistics would be a nightmare. HOWEVER, if someone was so inclined to want to give a prize for a weekly or monthly challenge (it has been done on occasion before), I would say go for it. I wouldn't even be opposed to someone setting up their own competition thread like "Shoot horses jumping 50' up" and the photographer of the best shot would receive a new D400 from the person who set up the competition. This is only an example, but some like doing that would be up to the individual/individuals who would like to try it to take charge with the blessings of the site managers.

<Dead horse beating stopped>

Status
Not open for further replies.