Close to buying the nikon z5

GeorgeTP

Greetings Everyone! So, after a lot of research and reviews, I'm very close to buying the Nikon z5 as my first mirrorless camera and probably something I want to mainly use in the future. I shoot weddings, christenings, portraits and studio stills (mostly weddings)
Although lots of reviews state that the low light AF performance isn't ideal and struggles a lot while others say that it's superb and I'm caught in the middle, confused. Is it worth investing in it (with the 24-70 F4 S as a start )? I currently shoot on D610 with the 35,50 and 85mm 1.8 prime lenses.

Bikerbrent

Welcome aboard GeorgeTP, enjoy the ride. We look forward to seeing more posts and samples of your work.

You might also want to consider introducing yourself on New Member Introductions.

Someone will be along shortly to help you out.

BF Hammer

As a Z5 owner, I would say no problem...but for the fact you are seeking to earn a living with it.

I understand budgets are not unlimited, but I think the Z7-II is closer to the mark for professional feature set. Even the Z6-II if you feel going higher than a 24MP sensor is not needed. The Mk-II bodies have dual card slots now (the main criticism of the Mk-1 bodies) and the autofocus is much improved. That said, I understand the eye-detect autofocus of the Z6-II or Z7-II will run a ring around the older Z5 design. Also that top LCD display for mode is something I find I actually miss with my Z5. I have always had camera bodies that included the top LCD (D80-D7000-D750) and yeah, I miss it. And I'm just a hobbyist, not earning money with the gear.

Consider that the Z8/Z9 has even better eye autofocus than that. I have to believe these are things that are going to matter with your work. But the cost is much higher, which is why I am steering to the Z6-II/Z7-II.

As for the 24-70mm f/4 (that is the kit lens for Z6/Z7), I have no complaints about it. It is basic as far as features (no auxilliary function ring or built-in VR) but optically good all-around.

Clovishound

I have the Z5 with the 24-70 F4. I am quite happy with it. I'm sure that it would do the job just fine for what you intend to use it for, but I think BF Hammer makes some good points. If you plan on using it professionally, I wouldn't skimp on the equipment, if you can afford it.

Peter7100

Hello and welcome.
I know someone that has a couple of mirrorless bodies but has still kept his Nikon 85 1.8 which he uses on same.