Center-weighted metering options?

Camera Fun

Center-weighted has options of 12 mm and Average under menu b3. What size area does the Average option consider if it's center-weighted?

Fred Kingston

Steve Perry of Backcountry Safari explains this well in his book and videos... He basically states that the metering methods are different in each iteration and you need to refer to your specific camera's manual for the exact info...but center-weighted metering is tied to the auto-focus points that you've selected, so depending on whether you've selected single point AF or one of the various other multi-point AFs...the area moves around as well as expands... This is one of those issues where there isn't a specific black and white answer that appeals to everyone, and where the user probably needs to set up a test scenario and test each setting for his specific camera to determine which setting suits him... The important thing to learn is where in your camera these settings/adjustments are and how to quickly make whatever adjustments you need...

Camera Fun

Steve Perry of Backcountry Safari explains this well in his book and videos... He basically states that the metering methods are different in each iteration and you need to refer to your specific camera's manual for the exact info...but center-weighted metering is tied to the auto-focus points that you've selected, so depending on whether you've selected single point AF or one of the various other multi-point AFs...the area moves around as well as expands... This is one of those issues where there isn't a specific black and white answer that appeals to everyone, and where the user probably needs to set up a test scenario and test each setting for his specific camera to determine which setting suits him... The important thing to learn is where in your camera these settings/adjustments are and how to quickly make whatever adjustments you need...
I had looked at the manual for my Z6ii but it didn't give any specifics on the Average option. So I did check out some YouTube videos today and finally found a couple that compared the two options
# 12mm; 75% of weight assigned to the 12mm area with 25% assigned to the rest of the frame
# Average; Just an average reading of the entire frame
But I have a different interpretation/understanding of the focus point issue than as noted in your reply. From what I've read/watched/studied, the 12mm option will always be centered not matter what focus point is used.

Fred Kingston

Like I said... Perry says there's too much variation between cameras/makers etc... and you have to rely on YOUR camera's manuals and your own experiences.

Then we can also get into a discussion regarding the advances in post processing software and its ability to tone/color, dodge and burn targeted areas of an image... measuring how close, within millimeters does exposure need to be... :)

Last edited:

Clovishound

Well, there is no doubt, in my mind anyway, that good, modern digital sensors are far less dependent on the "correct" exposure than film was. Especially when it came to slide film. I remember the good old days of dodging, burning, push processing, choosing a paper contrast, and choosing a paper exposure to deal with a negative that was, what I would today consider just a little off in exposure, and a slider adjustment or two will fix.

Fred Kingston

Exactly... College level photography has shifted entirely to "Just get the shot... and get the composition in the frame...We can fix everything else in post. Don't worry about the mechanics."

Clovishound

Exactly... College level photography has shifted entirely to "Just get the shot... and get the composition in the frame...We can fix everything else in post. Don't worry about the mechanics."
Don't try that with transparencies, kids.

If it wasn't right, straight out of the camera, there was no real fixing it. I am somewhat nostalgic about film photography, but I wouldn't go back. Heck, I recently gave my dad's beloved Rollei 3.5F to my niece, since it was just gathering dust in a closet. She may actually take some pictures with it.

headhz

Sorry to dig up a year-old thread, but I came across this while searching the same issue. I found this:
  • Center-weighted metering: Weight of 75% given to 12 mm circle in center of frame; weighting can instead be based on average of entire frame