Cause(s) of soft images

blackstar

screenshot:

Screen Shot 2023-02-25 at 4.27.04 PM.png

Fred Kingston

You're using Raw Right Away... Yes???? Fire up the app itself and go to preferences and doble check that Focus points are checked as one of the display options... then note the Note at the bottom of the preferences screen about OS 13.2 and Renaming the Raw Right Away application... That should resolve your issue...

blackstar

You're using Raw Right Away... Yes???? Fire up the app itself and go to preferences and doble check that Focus points are checked as one of the display options... then note the Note at the bottom of the preferences screen about OS 13.2 and Renaming the Raw Right Away application... That should resolve your issue...
Yes, I use RRA. I think I know the cause of the issue now: The autofocus points option has already checked. That's why my old D3500 images show red reticle in Finder. However, since my Mac OSX is too old that the RRA can't be updated to work on new z6ii images. More and more apps stay unadvanced. Bummer!!

Fred Kingston

Yes... RRA isn't supporting the Z cameras...

2 Focus points are not displayed for Nikon Z-series or Nikon 1 mirrorless cameras. Focus point availability is subject to the data actually reported by the camera in the file, regardless of what was displayed in the viewfinder. For example, some Nikon camera models omit the focus point if sharp focus was not acquired, or when focusing manually.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Thanks. I now confirm seeing red square both after shot and playback. Still don't see it on my mac's Finder preview like old D3500 images. May need to set up somewhere on my computer...
Same here. It's only visible in camera for me.

Fred Kingston

Cindy... You hve to rename the Raw Right Away.app file on your computer to Raw Right Away.7630872.app

And then reboot your computer... and log back in...

Fred Kingston

I'm still scratching my head going, What's Raw Right Away App? :unsure:
Raw Right Away is an application that lets Apple users "preview" Nikon NEF files (or any other file) by simply tapping the space bar... it also displays most of the EXIF data and a histogram without Opening the file with an editor.... just using Finder... It's also the only way to see the focus point of an image outside of using Nikon's own software... which is how this discussion began...

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Raw Right Away is an application that lets Apple users "preview" Nikon NEF files (or any other file) by simply tapping the space bar... it also displays most of the EXIF data and a histogram without Opening the file with an editor.... just using Finder... It's also the only way to see the focus point of an image outside of using Nikon's own software... which is how this discussion began...
Thanks, Fred! This is very helpful to know.