Carguys weekly contributions

carguy

Playing catch up. Bought new $99 bare bulb flash, 2 used SB-24s, haven't used them yet. Bought new umbrella Friday at Camera Mart demo days, haven't used it yet. Took a few quick snaps yesterday - see below. #1 & 2 are same shot.

Forgotten by MichiganClassics.com, on Flickr

Upon editing, realized I cut off the glass block window in the vertical shot :(

Enjoy.

Last edited:

carguy

So I finally got around to editing the pictures I took at the Orion Music + More festival June 8-9th on Belle Isle in Detroit, MI

This first set is the Dropkick Murphys from the Boston, MA area.

Shot with D40 & 18-105mm NIKKOR

See the rest here: Orion Music + More 2013 - a set on Flickr

Dropkick Murphys by MichiganClassics.com, on Flickr
1/1000, f/2.8, 28 mm, ISO 200

1/4000, f/4.5, 21 mm, ISO 200

1/3200, f/5.6, 98 mm, ISO 200

Last edited:

carguy

So my photo pass for the Orion Music + More festival earlier this month turned out to NOT include the headline acts, Red Hot Chili Peppers & Metallica. No worries as I was still glad to have the opportunity.

Saturday, walking by one of the stages a band was set to play, Dehaan. I never heard of them, entered the photo pit and security said "One song and out". Found it strange as all other bands were three songs, but didn't give it much thought.

There we are in the pit and who takes the stage? Metallica! Quite a surprise for most people there, include some of us taking pictures as well.

Enjoy :D

Dehaan / Metallica by MichiganClassics.com, on Flickr
1/250, f4.5, 62mm, ISO 200 w/18-105mm

1/1000, f5.0, 125mm, ISO 200 w/18-105mm

1/500, f4.5, 62mm, ISO 200 w/18-105mm

riverside

So my photo pass for the Orion Music + More festival earlier this month turned out to NOT include the headline acts, Red Hot Chili Peppers & Metallica. No worries as I was still glad to have the opportunity.

Saturday, walking by one of the stages a band was set to play, Dehaan. I never heard of them, entered the photo pit and security said "One song and out". Found it strange as all other bands were three songs, but didn't give it much thought.

There we are in the pit and who takes the stage? Metallica! Quite a surprise for most people there, include some of us taking pictures as well.

Enjoy :D

1/250, f4.5, 62mm, ISO 200 w/18-105mm

1/1000, f5.0, 125mm, ISO 200 w/18-105mm

1/500, f4.5, 62mm, ISO 200 w/18-105mm

That 18-105 does do the job.

carguy

Found another excuse to break out the 50mm 1.8G tonight. Took a few shots of my bike before a cleaning

1997 Gary Fisher Aquila. Original owner (the car guy coming out in me)

1997 Gary Fisher Aquila by MichiganClassics.com, on Flickr

A sign of the times. A phone mount on a bicycle.

carguy

Was itching to shoot something tonight. During this exercise, I realized my sensor should probably be cleaned. It's never been touched since I bought the camera new in 2007...

Dusted off my 30" photo tent (from my ebay selling days), setup the SB-24s on the crow feet on either side and took a few shots of some camera gear tonight. Nothing spectacular, just haven't used the strobes in a while :)

Bought a very gently used Sekonic 308S Light Meter tonight as well, should have it by next week :cool:

CowboyStudio / StudioHut / CheapLights NPT-04 Wireless Flash Triggers by MichiganClassics.com, on Flickr

Neewer / Godox TT560 Flash Speedlite by MichiganClassics.com, on Flickr

Last edited:

carguy

From the concert on the Detroit River this past Friday night. Used the SB-700 for fill, learned about my D40 limitations when the sun went down. Almost time to seriously consider upgrading within the DX family.

Not to mention my sensor is long overdue for a cleaning...

First band: Amy Gore & Her Valentines

Last edited:

carguy

The Romantics
Once the sun went down, I struggled with the 18-105mm and the ISO on my D40. Switched to the 50mm 1.8 for some better results. Still have some learning to do under these conditions.

Last edited: