can't choose between a canon or a nikon

Dave_W

The Dude
Stick with that story, Rick. You can build from the "I can't make a 48'' print" into a full blown, perfectly rational reason why you need a new camera and maybe even a couple new lenses! All you got to do is get over the "this is why I need it" hump and you're there! LOL!! Because let's face it, getting a new toy, whether it's a car or a new girl friend or a new camera, is FUN!!! And life it too short, my friend. Like the old saying goes "if not now, then when?"

Rick M

I do also agree that the MP race is mostly marketing. On a side note, sometimes newer features are attractive too. And of course, there are those that just think more is better.

Rick M

Stick with that story, Rick. You can build from the "I can't make a 48'' print" into a full blown, perfectly rational reason why you need a new camera and maybe even a couple new lenses! All you got to do is get over the "this is why I need it" hump and you're there! LOL!! Because let's face it, getting a new toy, whether it's a car or a new girl friend or a new camera, is FUN!!! And life it too short, my friend. Like the old saying goes "if not now, then when?"

According to my wife, a D800 will be cheaper than a girlfriend :)

Geoffc

I run a 12mp D300s. I chose it in preference to a 16mp 7000 after trying the 7000 for a week and preferring the D300s images. My wife had one so I knew the difference.

I recently had a D700 fx for a week. Apart from high ISO I didn't see any big difference in the results except the DX crop benefit. Have a look at my comparison shots on the link below

http://www.flickr.com/photos/teerecks/sets/72157629889340922/

I won't be upgrading any time soon as my camera is not limiting me in any way.

pedroj

I've had a few 30x20 inches done of surfers taken with my D50...

Son in law has a great image of the Sydney harbour bridge 5' long which was taken with his D200...

Dave_W

The Dude
Ok, I'll come clean, I just want a new toy and I have no need for 40x60 prints :). I feel so much better now.

Brother Rick! You have been touched by the mighty Nikon deity and now see the light! Rise up, my child, and press the little yellow button on the upper right hand side of the Amazon page and set yourself FREE!!!

Rick M

Actually I was "Browsing" at my favorite camera shop today and saw a D800 sitting on the shelf. I was able to keep the plastic from jumping out of my wallet. I think I'll jump at the D400 if I like the specs when it comes out.

Dave_W

The Dude
Actually I was "Browsing" at my favorite camera shop today and saw a D800 sitting on the shelf. I was able to keep the plastic from jumping out of my wallet. I think I'll jump at the D400 if I like the specs when it comes out.

I may take some heavy flak for saying this but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Nikon will not make the anticipated D400 and in fact the D600 will take it's place. If i'm right I look like a genius and if I'm wrong, well, it wouldn't be the first time and most certainly not the last. LOL!!!

Rick M

I may take some heavy flak for saying this but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Nikon will not make the anticipated D400 and in fact the D600 will take it's place. If i'm right I look like a genius and if I'm wrong, well, it wouldn't be the first time and most certainly not the last. LOL!!!

You may be correct, I should re-word my last comment. My next body will be the next Dx model replacing the D7000 or above. Looking for more features than the D5100 and since I already have the D7000 sensor, the next will keep me happy for many years (maybe).

Rumors are at least fun and they get me to save money.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod

Well mine had both a d800 and a d4 on the shelf... I'm just not ready yet. And I still can do nice pics with my present equipment.

AntrimHills

You may be correct, I should re-word my last comment. My next body will be the next Dx model replacing the D7000 or above. Looking for more features than the D5100 and since I already have the D7000 sensor, the next will keep me happy for many years (maybe).

Rumors are at least fun and they get me to save money.

I know I've only just bought my D7000, but the only thing that would tempt me to change, is if they brought out an FX body with a wide angle APO lens for under £1000 :rolleyes: Cant see that happening anytime soon :D