Canon Pixma Pro-10 Wireless Professional Inkjet Printer

carguy

Color ink cartridges are stupidly overpriced for any printer. Considering this model as it's only $100 after rebates. Something to have at home.

Fred Kingston

Guessing you're on Windows. For the last few years I have been printing my photos directly from Aperture. It uploads them to Apple, and they are printed via digital laser to resin coated silver-halide photographic paper. Same system pro labs used, but cheaper (dramatically so in some cases - like the panos).

So I get pro quality 8 x anythings for 2 bucks. My recollection was that ink and paper were noticeably beyond that with archival inkjet. Wondering if that is still the case.

I've been on a Mac for 5+ years... Never used Aperture... I've been using LR and adobe products for years...

:D

I've been on a Mac for 5+ years... Never used Aperture... I've been using LR and adobe products for years...

With the release of Affinity Photo, I am happy to say I am now Adobe free (just couldn't stomach the software rental system). But you could import the photos you want to order from Apple into either 'iPhoto' or 'Photos' (one of which is most likely already on your Mac).

You should give it a try as it is very convenient, the prints are great, and the cost is lower than any of the online labs I have ever used. Heck, it's even cheaper than the drug store crud. There is also an option for constructing very nicely bound books.

10 Gauge

Color ink cartridges are stupidly overpriced for any printer. Considering this model as it's only $100 after rebates. Something to have at home.
Cheap printers are pretty much a bait and switch. They give the printer away and charge more for a set of cartridges that will print 15 photos than the printer costs.

If you look at more expensive printers you'll normally find the ink prices are much more reasonable. You'll easily make up the upfront cost of the printer with the savings in ink compared to the cheap printer. All the while getting a better printer to boot.

Definitely something to look in to.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

Well, I did the math if anyone cares, and it seems the Pro 10 will run you about $2.15 per 8x10, given Canon's ink and glossy photo paper; and that's assuming you waste none of either (nozzle cleaning, jams, glitches).

Even if they were giving these razors away, I don't think I'd be buying these blades. While it does appear that cost of printing has come down a bit since my last Epson, it hasn't come down enough for me. It would seem to make sense for those that don't do a lot of printing, but need reasonably frequent and timely one offs.

Wolfeye

There's zero incentive for anyone to make a printer that sips ink, rather than guzzles it. All the camera stores of the past made their money on renewables - film and processing. They never made much on the cameras themselves. I have one of the earlier Canon printers and can vouch for it being an ink pig. Even more aggravating is how slow it is to swap cartridges. The light blinks, you open up the top - okay, now go make yourself a sandwich. Then the carriage will be in place for ink replacement. Ok, done. It then takes another 2-5 minutes to "charge" (whatever the hell that means) and then, most ANNOYING of all, it then decides it has RUN OUT OF ANOTHER COLOR and you have to start all over again. There are times when you want to just fire off a print job and be done with it. It won't happen if you're low on ink. Better plan on a 15 minute wait.

The prints are nice. But you can get a lot of $1.99 real photo 8x10 prints at Smugmug for what you're spending in ink - and aggravation.

I just saw a little blurb this morning on a TekThing podcast about the new Epson 'ink tank' printers. They charge you more for the printer up front and give 6000 pages worth of ink. And are you ready for this... (better sit down) the ink tank refills are about 40+ bucks, which corresponds to about $800 in ink cartridges!

RON_RIP

Hey, it is all about control. My Canon 9500 Pro is slow , it eats ink, it has a bad habit of signaling that the ink cover is open when it is not. But when it finally decides to print, I am hard pressed to wish for a better result. My philosophy is that I take the photo, I edit and enhance the photo, I print the photo, I mat and frame the photo and hang it on the wall. I have total creative control of the image from begining to end, which is what I demand; and so I pay the price with only an occasional whine.

10 Gauge

I just saw a little blurb this morning on a TekThing podcast about the new Epson 'ink tank' printers. They charge you more for the printer up front and give 6000 pages worth of ink. And are you ready for this... (better sit down) the ink tank refills are about 40+ bucks, which corresponds to about $800 in ink cartridges!
Yep this is what I was talking about previously. Usually the cheap arse printers have way more expensive ink. Typically a more expensive printer will have less expensive / longer lasting cartridges.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

RON_RIP

I am not sure, but I don't think they have a dedicated top quality photo printer that offers that better ink alternative. If someone knows of one I would like to hear about it.