Can you help ID this bird please?

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
Re: Help identify this species.

I use an app called Merlin Bird ID. You answer 5 questions, and it gives you the possibilities of what it is.

The 5 questions are Your Location, Date of Sighting, Size of bird, select up to 3 colors, and where was the bird (ground, tree, swimming, flying)?

Once you id the bird, you can choose "That's my bird!" and your positive identification is sent back to the developers to help improve the app.

Me to! I find them most of the time

Roy1961

Contributor

I always thought about starting a thread like this Pete, sometimes you just cannot find the birds you are looking for.

As already stated its a female northern harrier, I was lucky enough to get a male and female together yesterday, not the best of shots, I never have much luck with these birds, always to far away and when you are not looking they fly past your nose. lol

I am not seeing the picture in the post, so it looks like its coming as an attachment again.????

Attachments

• ROY_2425.JPG
    ROY_2425.JPG
    240.2 KB · Views: 143

Stoshowicz

None of the ID keys I ever used seemed to be very helpful, for various reasons , but when it works for y'all , great. Sometimes its nice though to have another human being take a look at things for a 'reality check' .

Stoshowicz

How about this one

/QUOTE] Very nice presentation of angles on the bird , thats helpful , especially since you all have a huge number of species , all of which I am not familiar with , but My guess is female 'Oriental magpie robin" . (Copsychus saularis)

aroy

How about this one

/QUOTE] Very nice presentation of angles on the bird , thats helpful , especially since you all have a huge number of species , all of which I am not familiar with , but My guess is female 'Oriental magpie robin" . (Copsychus saularis)
GSC_3273.jpg

GSC_3457.jpg
That has absolutely white belly and black upper part. This may be Grey Headed Robin, but I am not sure.

Stoshowicz

I'm thinking the grey-headed robin (Heteromyias cinereifrons) ,
looks nothing like that , its more like our vireos. Are there other candidates?

Roy1961

Contributor
here's one or two I need help with

ROY_4179.JPG

ROY_4216.JPG

1st one I think is a Lincoln's sparrow, 2nd I don't even know where to start, wren, tit?

wev

Contributor
here's one or two I need help with
1st one I think is a Lincoln's sparrow, 2nd I don't even know where to start, wren, tit?

I think the first is more likely a song sparrow. Not much on the second; I thought western wood peewee, but it has no wing bars. Bush tit maybe -- the females sometimes have that silvery wing -- but without the head/beak, it's pretty hard to tell.

Silversailor

a7da7756a7b7e5272148a6c7a773d7aa.jpg

Is there a Cinnamon Teal hiding amongst the Blue-winged Teal? While walking along Bluebird Pond at Harris Neck Wildlife Refuge, we came upon this little group. Later, we learned from the Visitor's Center that Cinnamon Teal had been spotted. My Audubon app says they are normally in the west, rarely in the east. Anyone want to weigh in on it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

salukfan111

What in the world is this bird? I was doing some long range counting of Harrier and Short Eared Owls and saw this guy and shot a few frames._DSC8556.jpg_DSC8634.jpg_DSC8635.jpg