Can "Scene" mode effects be added later?

Nazim

I took all my RAW pictures mostly using program mode, and never used scene mode. I just wonder if I can add those effects to my RAW files and see the results? I know that Picture Control can be changed via NX Studio, and even some of "Effects" mode (like photo illustration or miniature) can be added later using Retouch Menu. But how about if I wanted to take my photos using effects from "scene" mode, like beach, snow, autumn colors, blossom but didn't do that, can I apply them to my RAW files somehow later?

Thank You!

Needa

Challenge Team
Welcome! If there is no provision for changing the settings in NX Sdudio and I don't use it, we can take a guess as to what is happening using those mode. Snow mode change the scene so the snow is white not middle grey as normal metering would give you. So you probably would need to increase your exposure and maybe add some contrast to the shadows. With autumn colors the reds and yellow most likely being saturated and brightened a tad. With blossoms the colors with possibly the exception green are probably being saturated. Hope this was helpful.

Consider participating in our Weekly Photo Challenges and Monthly Assignments.

Last edited:

Clovishound

My understanding of the scene modes is they affect exposure only. They will choose what the camera decides is an appropriate combo of aperture and shutter speed, weighted toward the type of scene selected.

You can adjust exposure post processing, although there are limits. I normally consider I can make up to 3 stops adjustments to an image. Beyond that you begin to loose detail. For most scenes, I doubt you will see a significantly different total exposure between different camera settings, excepting manual.

The things that it will be difficult to manipulate post processing are shutter speed and depth of field consequences. If you are using too low a shutter speed, depending on camera steadiness and subject movement, you will experience blur that will be difficult to impossible to do much about after the fact. Of course, sometimes you actually want subject, or background blur to convey a sense of motion.

With depth of field, again, recovering detail from blurry sections of the image that are outside the depth of field from a large aperture, is difficult. There are some AI programs available these days that can ameliorate that blur to a degree, but that is more of a rescue operation that should be avoided if possible IMO. There is a sharpness adjustment in most all post processing software that will increase sharpness, but again it only helps a little, it won't bring a badly out of focus image into sharp detail. Often a shallow depth of field is desirable. Portraits, and a lot of wildlife photography will frequently benefit from a nicely blurred background contrasted with a crisp subject. This can be obtained by use of longer focal lengths, or wide open apertures.

This picture has a nicely blurred background that I believe adds to the feel of the image. It was shot at nearly wide open aperture, using a long focal length lens. There would be no way to sharpen the background to any appreciable degree post processing. A smaller F stop would bring more detail to the background, although at 500mm and the distance between the subject and the background, you would not be able to get it sharp. Of course, I would not want it sharp.

_DAB3159.jpg

My advice, would be to ditch the program modes, and use either aperture preferred, shutter speed preferred, or manual. You will need to make a decision before shooting of what you want from the image and choose a setting that will give you that. I normally shoot in aperture mode. I keep an eye on the shutter speeds the camera is giving me, and will occasionally tweak the aperture, or overide the exposure by a stop or two when necessary. This will give you much more control over your images.

On a side note, after switching to RAW, I noticed my pictures straight from the camera were often drab compared to the JPEG images. However, all the vividness, and detail was available with just a little bit of post processing. I believe I have more options and control post processing RAW images vs JPEGs.

nikonpup

I use "scene" mode and I am happy with the results. If I see results that are not to my liking most time I can fix it in processing. I see no problem using the "scene mode" for internet use. If I was shooting swimsuits for Sports Illustrated
that would be a whole new ballgame.

BF Hammer

Depending on the individual scene programs, things like shutter speed may be adjusted accordingly. Or a rear-curtain flash might be added on a longer exposure. Other scenes are only adjusting the exposure for a certain situation.

So you could consider shooting RAW+JPG because the JPG would get the scene treatment. As I understand it, most scene modes do not adjust the RAW file.

Clovishound

I use "scene" mode and I am happy with the results. If I see results that are not to my liking most time I can fix it in processing. I see no problem using the "scene mode" for internet use. If I was shooting swimsuits for Sports Illustrated
that would be a whole new ballgame.
There is nothing wrong with using the scene modes. I would say that it's a good idea to keep an eye on what the camera is doing and make inputs as necessary. I find that it is easier to monitor and change when in aperture, shutter or manual mode. YMMV

Just like driving a manual transmission, it may be a little awkward and require concentration at first, but it quickly becomes automatic after a little while.

In the end you must do what works for you.

Nazim

you could consider shooting RAW+JPG because the JPG would get the scene treatment. As I understand it, most scene modes do not adjust the RAW file.

I'm not sure about the other cameras, but Nikon D5600 RAW is identical to its JPEG, I mean visually there's no difference between them, the camera adds all changes to the both files, they're 100% identical, so +JPG would make no sense.

Needa

Challenge Team
I'm not sure about the other cameras, but Nikon D5600 RAW is identical to its JPEG, I mean visually there's no difference between them, the camera adds all changes to the both files, they're 100% identical, so +JPG would make no sense.
I believe this is because the software you are using displays the embedded JPG and not the RAW file this is the default in many editors. Not being familiar with that software I don't know if there is a way to show the RAW file. The software I use applies ten different step to the raw file before displaying it as I have select ignore the embedded JPG, there is also the option to some of those off, most RAW editor add some preliminary steps. A RAW file is just a bunch of sensor information the software being used must interpret the information to display an image or use the JPG.

You will most likely be able to find some videos on how to use NX Studio as a RAW editor and obtain images similar to the in camera settings when you have not set them. Learning to edit raw files takes time and commitment.