Camera straps

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I don't know of a "walkaround" to use the Black Rapid and a tripod mount. This is the only disadvantage to the Black Rapid. Right now I unscrew the Black Rapid mount on and off as I need to use my tripod. At home I'm fine with this, but when out and about it can be a pain switching back and forth.

Glenn, I have used my Black Rapid with a third party grip and a 70-200mm 2.8 and have walked around with it at my side. It rides well with out my hand on it, but most of the time I have my hand on it. It does make me nervous and I find my self resting the lens across my left arm to carry it. In the unlikely event if I were to drop the camera, the black rapid would stop it from falling to the ground. It all depends on how much "one" would want to push their luck, with me more than likely I'm going to carry my 70-200mm 2.8 more than I'm going to let it hang by my side on the Black Rapid. I only have had the lens a few weeks and I'm still experimenting on how I want to hand the lens while on the camera, it is a hand full.

Rick - I am considering the BR sports strap. However, If I am going to use a BR strap, I would use two medium or one heavy duty tie-strap to support the metal hook just in case it fails or slips off. I would also re-inforce it with the additional tether that I previously posted.

Flickr: Discussing Black Rapid strap in ATLANTA PHOTOGRAPHERS GUILD - Next Meeting March 6 @ Elliott St

Using the 70-200mm will normally require you to attach it to the lens foot. I am just not too confident risking such an expensive gear unlike the proven kevlar materials that the upstrap uses.

AxeMan - Rick S.

Glenn, While researching the BR I found pictures of someone who did reinforced the BR with another strap attaching it to the strap itself and to both mounts of the camera. I don't have time right now to post you a link, but I think it was a review I read on Amazon.

As for attaching the 70-200 using the lens tripod mount to the BR. The mount on my Sigma, the screw that hold the collar in place does not turn that much to lock the collar in place and I'm very nervous about using that to attach the BR to. It doesn't screw down that much for my taste to trust it.

Like I said in my previous post, for now I just going to carry it across my arm sort of like a baby. lol

Later today after I dig my car out of 5 inches of heavy wet snow and get off of work, I'll look for that link for you.

Thanks for the Flicker link, I'll have to keep an eye on that screw mount on the BR

Sambr

I have the BR strap use it with my 70-200vr and which ever body - however my favorite most used strap is the Domke 1.5" wide gripper - it stays put on my shoulder it also sports quick detachable metal swivels. I do a lot of hiking shooting my wildlife images - I find the Domke the best of all combination(Upstraps, neoprene straps were the worst) that I had experimented with.

ZekeMenuar

I converted a Marom Dolphin AR-15 IDF sling to use as a camera strap. The hooks swivel 360 degrees and it has a small pocket to hold a fresh battery and a couple of SD cards.
It works better than anything I have come across.

Gratuitous pics
Sling1-1-1.jpg

Enthus_Photo

Yes there is a better or faster way to secure your camera using the Blackrapid strap if you are using an arca-swiss type camera or L plate. This allows you to provide an added security should the main attachment fails and allows the use of a tripod using the quick release clamp. See below.

I saw a couple incoming folks from this post to my blog, so I figured I swing in and say "Hi"!

The post in the link above is probably my highest traffic generator - clearly there are lots of folks with BR straps who want to use Arca!

I've been using the setup for some time now, and recently had a five-week stretch that had me in Asia for two weeks and Europe for two weeks, wearing the strap setup a lot. It worked great! If you have Arca-swiss, the cost isn't trivial, but it sure is a LOT more convenient. I think it actually makes the strap better since I can get in and out quickly without having to screw/unscrew all the time.

Anyway, hope this is helpful!

br_fix640x480 by e24mpwr, on Flickr

Sambr

I have a BR Strap -with the "updated" lug it's a one piece forged hunk of stainless steel - I find the strap to be a PIA I use a mono pod lots, unscrewing it to use my mono is a pain. So I have been using "domke " gripper straps proven by war PJs and you could carry an elephant with one.